Monarchs can take pride in a work-life experience where both personal and professional aspirations are valued and encouraged.
Juggling work and personal life has become an increasing challenge for employees everywhere. At Old Dominion, we seek to enrich the quality of university life by providing resources and programs to support faculty, staff, and their families so they can face today's challenges with resilience and grit.
Employees are invited and encouraged to participate in campus learning and entertainment activities, athletics activities and traditions, volunteer opportunities and constituent groups.
Temporary Change in Duties ▶
Policy supporting fulltime teaching faculty who expect a new family member through birth or adoption.
Tenure Clock Policy ▶
Supporting work-life balance for lifetime events such as the birth or adoption of a child and responsibility for care of dependent others.
Contact Academic Affairs for questions.
The EAP provides affordable behavioral, financial, legal or mental health care support for employees and members of their household with personal or work-related challenges, big or small. Eligible employees have access to full behavioral and mental health benefits.
ODU Policy #5406 requires that no qualified individual be excluded or discriminated against in job application procedures, hiring, firing, advancement, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Further, ODU provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.
ODU is a certified V3 (Virginia Values Veterans) Employer, which allows us to develop and implement long-term strategies and nationally recognized best practices in recruiting, hiring, and retaining veterans. The Office of Military Activities, Military Connection Center, and Veterans Services support our military personnel.
- Family Access to Medical Insurance Security (FAMIS) Plan
- Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce
- Lifenet (organ donation)
- National Alzheimer's Association
- The Planning Council
- Quality of University Life
- Virginia Credit Union
- Virginia Department for the Aging
- Virginia Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired
- Virginia Department for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing
- Virginia Department of Education
- Virginia Department of Health
- Virginia Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services
- Virginia Department of Rehabilitative Services
- Virginia Department of Social Services
- Virginia Department of Veteran's Affairs
- Virginia Employment Commission