Appealing a Residency Decision

Need to file an appeal?

It is the responsibility of the student to establish or to file an appeal

Prior to Term Start

Prior to the start of classes for the term

Within 14 Days

Within 14 days of the initial decision notification.

Filing an Appeal

If a student has applied for in-state tuition and the student and/or parent/legal guardian believe that the initial decision is incorrect or there are additional circumstances that warrant consideration, they must complete and submit the Supplemental Application for In-State Rates. The parent/legal guardian form is also required for students who are not 24 years of age prior to the first day of classes.

Deadline to Appeal

Forms and all supporting documents must be sent within 14 days of the initial decision notification date, and before the start of classes for the term. Appeals filed after the start of classes cannot be considered for any reason.

Appeal Review Process

The supplemental application(s) will be reviewed by the University, and the applicant will be notified of the decision by mail. If this application is denied, the student may appeal the decision through the University's Domicile Appeals Committee. The appeals committee is the final review within the University. The decision of that committee is final.

Proof of Residency

Please Do Not Submit Original Documents

Photocopies of all applicable material may be attached to your appeal form. Please ensure that all photocopies are clear.

To be considered for in-state tuition rates, a student must provide proof of the following information, as applicable:

  • Virginia income tax return
  • Parents' or guardians' federal and state income tax forms
  • Employment contract (12 months)
  • Rental agreement (lease)
  • Virginia driver's license
  • Virginia automobile registration
  • Virginia voter registration (Virginia Voter Registration website)
  • Virginia property tax form
  • Military employees: copy of current leave earnings or certified copy of statement form DD-2058 (State of Legal Residence Certificate)

In-State Tuition Questions?

Be informed about in-state tuition and application options.