Property Coverage

University Property Loss Claims

The University carries property insurance through the Commonwealth covering state owned property for the lesser of repair or replacement. Contact University Police (757-683-4000) for stolen or vandalized property - a police report will be required to complete a claim with the Office for Risk Management (ORM). Incident reports are required for damaged property.

All required documents must be forwarded to Risk Management at or fax 757-683-6025 for processing. Remember, all property loss/damage must be reported.

Complete a Report of Loss to State Owned Property and/or an Incident Report within three (3) workdays of the incident and forward it to ORM at or fax to 757-683-6025.

The following documents are required for processing a claim reimbursement:

  1. Police Report (or report number) and/or Incident Report.
  2. Vendor Statement and/or Report stating the following: the cause of the loss, description of the damage(s), any assessments for covered property/equipment that may require repair or replacement.
    • For covered property/equipment to be replaced, a statement and/or report from a qualified vendor stating they performed an assessment, and that repair is not cost effective and would be of greater cost than replacement is needed.
  3. Proof of Original Ownership by department
    • E.g. copy of original purchase order or copy of fixed assets inventory or memorandum from department head stating that property was located in that department, estimate purchase date, estimate cost, and brief description.
  4. Proof of Replacement with a copy of the PAID INVOICE
    • Must be an "invoice" document; purchase orders and packing slips will not suffice.
  5. Proof of Repair with a copy of the PAID REPAIR BILL.
    • It is required that the bill itemize specifically what services were performed and/or what parts were provided. Further, the bill must state the purpose for the work and the item(s) repaired. In the event the bill covers several items, please annotate those portions of the bill applicable to the insurance claim. "For Services Rendered" bills are not acceptable support for a claim.
  6. Photographs of the damage(s)

The above documents must be sent to Risk Management via email or fax for processing. Remember, all property loss/damage must be reported.

Old Dominion University (ODU) maintains insurance for its fine arts collections as well as art, artifacts and/or rare books which are loaned to ODU. In most cases fine arts or other items loaned to ODU that have been taken into care, custody, and control of ODU can be provided with coverage under the PLAN. Each department is responsible for reporting their inventory of fine arts along with all supporting documentation.

Fine arts include but are not limited to: paintings (oil acrylics, watercolors, pastels, pen and ink etc.), photographs, lithographs, signature works, sculptures (all mediums), historic papers and/or artifacts.

Fine Arts on Loan to ODU:

When departments are in the process of accepting a loan of fine arts on behalf of ODU, a Fine Arts Loan Agreement should be completed when there are no other contracts or agreements that have been presented to ODU. This form must be returned to the Curator of Collections/Gallery Director for review. The Gallery Director or Curator will submit the form to the Office for Compliance and Risk Management (OCRM) after review. The form must be on file in ORM one (1) week prior to receiving the fine art in order for it to be considered covered under ODU's insurance.

If the fine art is to be insured by ODU, please complete the Request for Fine Arts Insurance form. This request should be received by ORM one (1) week prior to receiving the art. Please fax to 757-683-6025 or send to email

At the end of the loan period, the processes must be repeated before releasing the item from ODU's care. Any damage during the loan period must be reported to the lender immediately and ORM should also be notified of any damages by the following the guidelines below for reporting loss to fine arts.

Reporting Loss to Fine Arts:

Loss to fine art must be reported as soon as possible and below documentation forwarded to OCRM for processing. To report fine arts lost, stolen or damaged:

  • Contact University Police (757-683-4000) to report lost, stolen, or vandalized fine arts. A police report is required and the report number will need to be provided to OCRM.
  • Complete a Report of Loss to State Owned Property (Fine Arts) within three (3) workdays of the incident and forward it to the OCRM at risk or fax to 757-683-6025).
  • Provide proof of original ownership by department: a copy of original purchase order, fixed assets inventory or Fine Arts Loan Agreement to ORM. This should include all appraisals and documentation.

***Please note, do not discard any items***


In regards to personal property stored at ODU, the university has very limited responsibility for damaged, stolen, or lost personal property. Personal property are items owned by an individual and brought on campus by faculty, staff, students or visitors. Unless ODU's negligence was clearly responsible for the loss or damage, our insurance carrier will not pay for repairs or replacement. In many cases, however, the individual's homeowners or renters insurance may provide coverage for property located outside the residence.

The State's property insurance will cover loss or damage of personal property only if the faculty/staff person's position description requires the use of specific personal items as a condition of employment. In this case, the insurance claim will be processed in the same manner as that for university property.

When loss or damage does occur:
  • Report all incidents to the ODU Police Department at 757-683-4000
  • Direct all questions concerning reimbursement for loss to the Office for Risk Management at 757-683-4009 or

Property on Loan to ODU

When property (including personal property of a faculty or staff member used by the University) is on loan to ODU, specific information such as description, identification (make, model, serial number, etc.) and value must be provided to the Office for Risk Management (ORM) for coverage under the PLAN. The information is provided by using the Property on Loan to ODU form. Any loss or damage must be documented and must have been the result of an identifiable, unexpected event (not simply neglect or being misplaced).

ODU Property on Loan

ODU property on loan to another agency or entity shall be documented using the ODU Property on Loan form.


Both forms should be on file with ORM one (1) week prior to receiving/loaning the property. Please fax completed forms to 757-683-6025 or email to