Tuition charges must be paid in full by July 5, 2022.
Tuition refunds for the summer semester are typically processed after the tuition deadline. The University will refund tuition to students who qualify by formally dropping courses within the published deadlines. Failure to attend the course after registering is not justification for elimination of charges. Failure to pay will not release a student from the responsibility for these charges.
Students must drop using official procedures and within the published deadlines in order to qualify for a refund or a release from charges.
Official drops may be submitted to the University in several ways.
- Leo On Line Web drop ends at midnight on the drop date specified for the session.
- Written request or drop form sent by fax to the University Registrar (757-683-5357)
Fax drop ends at 5:00pm on the drop date specified for the session.
- Completed drop form submitted in person at the University Registrar. Form drop ends at 5:00pm on the drop date specified for the session.
Official Withdrawal dates vary by session. Please refer to the academic calendar for more information.
**Classes have varied start dates. Refunds are based on the actual start date of class rather than the date of the session.
Refunds for Classes Less Than One Semester in Length
For classes of less than one semester in length, refunds will be granted for classes officially dropped no later than the day before the first class meeting. Students in this category must contact the Accounts Receivable Office at (757) 683-3030 in order for their refund to be processed.
Refunds for Summer Sessions
If the University has been formally notified of the student's intention to withdraw by completion of the drop/add form no later than the first day of classes and provided that the student's tuition account is in order, a tuition refund will be authorized as follows:
Full Tuition Refund
Notification to the University prior to the first day of scheduled classes and during the first three business days of scheduled classes in any session:
- A full refund of tuition for students completely withdrawing from the University.
- A full refund of the difference between tuition paid and the new tuition charges for students, including part-time students, who drop courses but do not completely withdraw from the University.
One-Half Tuition Refund
Notification to the University during the fourth, fifth, and sixth day of scheduled classes in any session:
- A refund of one-half of the tuition paid for students who completely withdraw from the University.
- A refund of one-half of the difference between tuition paid and the new tuition charges for students, including part-time students, who drop courses but do not completely withdraw from the University.
No Refund of Tuition
No tuition refunds are made beyond the periods specified above, except as stated in the Tuition and/or Fees Appeal Policy.
Drop and Add
No refund or additional tuition charges for students, including part-time students, who drop and add an equal number of credit hours within the same semester/session if the per credit tuition rates are the same.
In accordance with the refund periods for partial withdrawals explained above, a full or partial refund of the difference between tuition paid and the new tuition charges will be granted if the per credit rates differ. In those instances where the revised tuition charges are greater, the additional tuition charge will be assessed.