Admitted Engineering Freshmen
Welcome to the Batten College of Engineering and Technology! Please use this page as a supplement to your Portal checklist for what you need to do as a newly admitted freshman in the College of Engineering.
ALEKS-PPL Math Placement Test: At least one week before Monarch Orientation
ALEKS Testing Process
IMPORTANT: If you do not complete the ALEKS-PPL process, you will not be able to register for Math or Engineering courses during your orientation which may delay your graduation.
- Register with ALEKS PPL. You will need your Midas ID and password.
- Complete the informational questions provided by ALEKS and take the unproctored assessment. Do NOT use a calculator. (ODU does not allow calculators in most math courses. If a calculator is needed, ALEKS will provide one).
- Complete eight (8) hours of module work.
- Sign up to take the proctored placement exam.
- You will receive your test results immediately following your exam. If you would like to retake the test to place into a higher math class, you must wait one week and complete a minimum of eight (8) hours of module work.
- Modules are customized off your Test and identify areas you need to work on.
- To get the most out of the learning modules, we recommend NOT using a calculator.
- If you are transferring Calculus I credits from another college or university or transferring above Calculus I courses in the math sequence, you do not need to take a math placement test. Please be sure those credits are transferred and inform your academic advisor.
- If you are transferring Algebra or Pre-Calc I credits from a community college/4-year institution or through Advance Placement/Dual Enrollment, we encourage you to complete the ALEKS PPL as it will prepare you for the rigor of the Math courses sequence.
- You may also place into math by your SAT or ACT score. Click here for the math placement eligibility table.
Chemistry Placement Test: At least two weeks before Monarch Orientation
The chemistry placement exam is delivered through Blackboard by ODU's chemistry department. This exam is timed and should be done to the best of your ability.
Instructions on how to access the Blackboard learning organization to take your chemistry placement exam can be found here.
WSPT: Writing Placement Test: At least two weeks before Monarch Orientation
Freshmen students without AP, dual enrollment/transfer credit, or CLEP scores satisfying their ENGL110C (English Composition) requirement will need to take the Writing Sample Placement Test.
More information on the WSPT can be found here.
Engineering Early Advantage Program for Women (EEAP)
ODU Engineering's EEAP is a one-week on-campus immersion program in the summer funded by the Virginia Space Grant Consortium and other sponsors. It helps young women entering engineering build a community with one another, participate in engineering activities, and take trips to area industry groups. Participants will attend Monarch Orientation during the session to assist with class registration or the Fall of 2023. EEAP will run from July 9-14, 2023. Placements in EEAP are invitation-only and competitive due to the limited seats. All confirmed freshman female engineering students are receiving email invitations containing the EEAP application at this time. Please check your email for the EEAP invitation.
Engineering Living and Learning Community (ELLC)
Students who meet the qualifications for the ELLC should apply for and could be invited to the living and learning community. Engineering students who are accepted for the ELLC will have activities, events, trips, group study sessions, and linked courses. Space is limited in the ELLC and students must meet academic benchmarks to qualify.
General freshman housing is available to all students. You can find more information about applying for housing here.
You should have had most of your academic records submitted through admissions, but it is good to double-check.
High School Transcripts?
ODU needs in your official high school transcripts as soon as possible. Contact your high school guidance office for information on printing and sending official transcripts.
SAT and/or ACT scores are an important piece of information that helps ODU build your profile and history as a student. Follow directions from the College Board (for SAT) and the ACT website to make sure you've sent your scores to ODU.
AP, IB, Transfer, or Dual Enrollment Credit?
Credit earned in high school can help you get ahead in college. Make sure you have sent ODU any documentation of college credit you have earned for verification with our offices. Dual enrollment and transfer credits will require official transcripts from the credit-awarding institution.
For more information on the assessment credits and scores honored by Old Dominion University, visit the admissions website.
We will need you to approach Freshmen Monarch Orientation differently as an ODU engineering student.
Make sure that you complete all the placement tests in advance of your Monarch Orientation day
-Math placement: at least one week before Monarch Orientation
-Spatial Visualization: at least one week before Monarch Orientation
-Chemistry: at least two weeks before Monarch Orientation
-Writing: at least two weeks before Monarch Orientation
Download and read the Engineering Package for Monarch Orientation
Register for Monarch Orientation.
The Freshmen Monarch Orientation Package & Presentation are currently under revision.
PLEASE NOTE ** Apple computers (MacBook, iMac, etc.) are NOT compatible with engineering software.
Recommended Specs for Engineering Programs
Latest version of Windows 11
Latest Generation Intel Core Processors (i7 quad-core or higher)
Discrete Video Adapter such as the NVIDIA GeForce
512GB SSD or higher
Any Wi-Fi card capable of supporting 802.11ac
Your freshman advisors will be at freshman Monarch Orientation to help you prepare for classes this fall. However, any urgent questions prior to Monarch Orientation can be answered by calling the Dean's office or by emailing your advisor.
Placement Testing and Summer Programs?
For urgent questions related to engineering-specific placement testing (ALEKS and the Visualization test) and summer programs such as the Engineering Summer Bridge and EEAP, contact Minghui (Hannah) Hou. Questions regarding the WSPT and Chemistry placement tests should be directed to their respective departments.
Want to come see ODU Engineering again?
First Fridays are still open for registration, check out the First Fridays Program page for more information.
You can also contact the ODU Engineering Ambassadors at any time for a personalized tour.