We are glad that you are interested in on-campus housing at Old Dominion University. Before you apply for on-campus housing, please carefully read the information provided in the links below.
By applying for housing at Old Dominion University, you are agreeing to the full Terms and Conditions of the Housing and Dining Contract and entering into a legally binding agreement. As it is a legally binding agreement, it is important for you to fully understand the conditions of the agreement. Please take time to review the documents and the information provided.
We look forward to having you join our community and wish you the best of luck here at Old Dominion University!
How to Begin
- Browse through your options for Living-Learning Communities and Residential Communities.
- Pay the $200 Admissions Deposit to confirm your enrollment at Old Dominion University.
- Activate your ODU MIDAS ID. The ODU MIDAS ID and password provide access to the ODU Housing Portal.
- Obtain a valid credit/debit card for the $250 housing application fee.
- Review assignment policy. Acceptance of the Housing & Dining Contract does not guarantee a specific room assignment.
- Begin your housing application.
New Freshmen Timeline & Action Items
- January 25, 2023: New freshman housing application opens via the ODU Housing Portal - 12:00 PM
- April 1, 2023: Priority deadline for LLC applications.
- April 22, 2023: Early Action Deadline for new freshmen to participate in self-selection (in order of application submission).
- May 3-31, 2023: Self Selection for New Freshmen.
- Students may log onto the ODU Housing Portal to select a room assignment and meal plan. Please note that room assignments are made based on room availability. Rooms in a preferred building cannot be guaranteed.
- May 3: Selection for students who applied on or before the early action deadline (April 22). Students will receive a timeslot via ODU email.
- May 9: Open selection for students who applied after the early action deadline (April 22). This group does not receive a time slot. Selection will begin on May 9 at noon and end on May 31 at 11:59 PM.
- May 15, 2023: Cancellation deadline for $200 partial application fee refund.
- Students who cancel on or before this date are eligible for a partial of $200 ($50 of the application fee is non-refundable). Cancellations are made through the ODU Housing Portal.
- Note: After May 15, the $250 application fee is not refundable.
- June 7, 2023 - Onward: Auto-allocation of freshmen who apply on or after June 1 or who did not participate in self-selection and are not a part of a special interest group (assignments notice sent following completion). This is a continuous process that will occur throughout the summer. Assignments are made based on room availability. Rooms in a preferred building cannot be guaranteed.
Housing & Residence Life may find it necessary to expand our capacity to support the opportunity for as many students as possible to live at ODU. Expanded housing accommodations for students may include the temporary expansion of on-campus spaces or securing off-site housing accommodations.
Residential amenities offered for traditional assignments are available to students living in expanded housing. These include room furnishings, desk coverage, secure access, staffing, laundry, meals, and shuttle service. Residents can and should utilize all campus resources available to any student living on-campus housing. Our staff are committed to ensuring your academic success wherever you reside.
Any student who completes an application for on-campus housing can be assigned to temporary accommodations. The length of stay can range from a few days to an entire semester. If a student is assigned to a temporary space, they will be reassigned to a permanent room as space permits. Moving assistance is available as needed. As with on-campus housing, you will be asked to consolidate your room if there is a vacancy. Our goal is to ensure you have a rewarding experience.