Housing & Residence Life will be a premiere living-learning community.
Housing & Residence Life provides an inclusive residential experience in a safe, well-maintained community that supports academic excellence, fosters personal development, and promotes student success.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Statement
For purposes of this statement, we define Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) as:
The representation of different and unique identities, characteristics, experiences, and perspectives.
Giving everyone what they need to succeed based on where they are by increasing access, resources, and opportunities for all; especially for those who are underrepresented and have been historically disadvantaged.
A welcoming culture in which difference are honored and everyone is valued, respected, and able to reach their full potential.
- We believe the quality of our mission, vision and core values are enhanced and strengthened by working with and learning from people with diverse experiences.
- We believe in approaching Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion with intentionality, openness, and a willingness to reframe thoughts and opinions to develop personal knowledge when new information is available.
- We believe in developing and advancing culturally competent leaders and community members where diverse voices are celebrated. This is evidenced when everyone is included, valued, and empowered in engaging in critical reflection and meaningful dialogue while respecting the individual.
- We believe in seeking out personal and professional developmental opportunities for ourselves, staff, and students to engage in conversations around identity, inclusion, and social justice.
- We believe in welcoming diversity of all identities, undertaking work to strengthen the equity of experiences, and creating spaces that foster understanding and collaboration through inclusive practices.
- We believe in creating an environment that addresses all audiences within our students and staff populations regardless of title or position; and how the creation of this environment impacts learning, teaching, and growth.
- We believe we must actively recruit, enroll, hire, retain, and support underrepresented students and staff to enhance our environment for learning and exchange.
- We believe we must be diligent when addressing incidents of bias, stereotyping, and microaggressions to assure all individuals feel affirmed.
- We believe in the importance of accountability and commitment by all community members to strive for diversity, equity, and inclusion and commit to growing and reshaping our approach as the campus evolves in valuing our diverse Monarch community.
- We believe that this work is constantly evolving, and Housing & Residence Life policies, procedures and assessment must evolve in tandem as we continue to create an inclusive and equitable environment.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are important components of Housing & Residence Life's core values and a key feature of student success as true Monarch excellence cannot occur without purposeful diversity, equity, and inclusion work. Our intention is to create a culture of mutual respect for all students, staff, faculty, and Monarch community that consists of:
- Adapting to the ever-changing landscape of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Clear standards relating to diversity, equity, and inclusion in the areas of recruitment, development, and evaluation of staff
- Intentionality in the approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion work
- An equitable community
- An environment that is welcoming of all identities and differences