Adjusted Resident Credit (ARC)


Any undergraduate student who leaves Old Dominion University in academic difficulty and returns after at least one calendar year will be given the option of requesting a grade point average status equivalent to that of a student admitted as a transfer, according to the conditions and regulations of the policy.

Students wishing to avail themselves of this policy may receive procedural information from the Office of the University Registrar. It is recommended that students review the complete policy (see the University Catalog) before requesting ARC.

Conditions Governing Eligibility for Adjusted Resident Credit

  1. Prior to the one year absence, the student must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) less than 2.00.

  2. The student must have separated from the institution for at least one calendar year. A term in which the student received W grades cannot be counted as part of the calendar year separation.

  3. Upon returning to the University, the student must earn a minimum of 30 credits at Old Dominion University to be eligible for a degree. This must include 12 hours of upper-level courses in the department of the declared major program.

  4. Upon return, a full-time student must have attained a 2.00 GPA for all work attempted since his or her return and must have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours. There may be no incomplete grades on the record. Courses that do not compute in the grade point average will not count toward the minimum of 12 semester hours.

  5. Upon satisfying the above requirements, the student must submit the application for Adjusted Resident Credit (Record Evaluation for Adjusted Resident Credit), to the Office of the University Registrar.

  6. This option will be available only ONCE during the student's career at ODU, and must be elected and the student's record adjusted prior to graduation. Waivers of the requirement that students have less than a 2.00 GPA can be made only in those programs that require greater than a 2.00 for admission.

  7. Consultation and approval by the appropriate department, and approval of the dean(s) of the college(s) in which the student's major program resides will be required. Once an application for Adjusted Resident Credit is approved and applied to the student's record, this action is final.

  8. Students may elect to use both grade forgiveness and the Adjusted Resident Credit policy. However, students cannot use grade forgiveness for individual courses for which adjusted resident credit already has been applied. In addition, the application of adjusted resident credit will not change the number of times a student can elect to use grade forgiveness.

  9. Under this option:

    • eligible students will receive degree credit only for those courses in which grades of C (2.00) or better were earned prior to readmission

    • likewise, hours attempted for courses in which grades of C-, D+, D, D- or F were received prior to readmission, will not be considered in computing the student's new cumulative GPA, and

    • grade points earned for any course completed prior to readmission will not count in determining the student's new cumulative GPA.

  10. All grades received at the University will be part of the individual's official transcript and will be used to determine honor awards. However, computation of a new GPA for graduation and continuance will be based on work performed subsequent to reinstatement.

  11. In cases of dual jurisdiction, University continuance regulations will prevail.

Grades for which ARC has been applied are indicated by "R" in front of the original letter grade.