Old Dominion University (ODU), an agency in the Commonwealth of Virginia, is insured through the Commonwealth's Risk Management Plan (PLAN).

The PLAN provides coverage anywhere in the world that University business takes the faculty and staff. In general, this coverage includes liability, property, vehicle, and employee theft.

The Commonwealth's Division of Risk Management (DRM), within the Department of the Treasury, administers the PLAN.

Insurance provided under the PLAN:

General Liability coverage is meant to protect against omissions or acts of negligence for which ODU and/or its employees and agents may be legally liable to pay due to bodily injury or property damage to a third party. The PLAN provides general liability coverage set forth in Section 2.2-1837 of the Code of Virginia for the State, its agencies, and its employees, agents, and volunteers. The PLAN's protection covers both general and professional liability, as well as medical malpractice, and includes: preparation of a defense by the State Attorney General's Office, court costs, and the settlement of the claim.

Who is covered?

The PLAN covers ODU, its Board, officers, employees, students (under certain circumstances) and agents while they are acting within the scope of their employment or authorized assigned duties under the direction of ODU, whether on or off campus.

Note: ODU employees who engage in personal business are NOT covered by the PLAN.

Who is excluded?

Coverage may not be provided to employees or agents of ODU if it is determined that liability was incurred by reason of:

  • Acts of fraud or dishonesty
  • Acts of intentional, malicious, or willful and wanton conduct
  • Criminal Acts

Note: An employee or agent who does not report an incident or fails to cooperate with the defense of a claim may also be excluded from coverage.

What can ODU faculty and staff do to reduce the University's exposure?

  • Exercise professional care when planning and executing an event or project.
  • Anticipate mishaps and take appropriate precautions.
  • Quickly report any incident to the Office for Compliance and Risk Management.

Notes: ODU employees who engage in personal business enterprises on ODU facilities, are NOT covered by the PLAN. Individuals engaged in such activities are required to purchase general liability insurance naming ODU as an additional insured party and obtain professional liability insurance for themselves.

Medical Malpractice is covered up to the limits established in the Code of Virginia section 8.01-581.15.

Cash and financial accounts of the University are insured up to $500,000 per occurrence for both theft and fraud by ODU employees. This insurance carries no deductible. In the event theft or fraud is suspected, the University Police must be notified. In turn, the State Police will investigate the matter. To activate the bond, the State Police must name the probable culprit (an employee).

University property includes all items acquired through a State purchase order, by contract, a care-custody-and-control loan agreement, or as a gift. It also includes University funds and other monetary instruments. The role of the Office for Risk Management is to assist ODU departments in preparing property claims.

Property coverage is worldwide and is based on the actual replacement or repair cost. Claims must be finalized within 18 months of the incident. Further, there is also a $25,000 per occurrence deductible charged by Division of Risk Management to the University and ODU charges the department a $1,000 deductible per occurrence.

Persons operating a state-owned vehicle, rented or leased while conducting University business, have liability coverage in the case of an accident. The PLAN provides $2,000,000 per occurrence of automobile liability coverage.

Employees should not buy the insurance offered by the car rental agency if on University business in the U.S. because coverage is provided under the PLAN and the purchase of additional insurance is not reimbursable. However, this does not apply to leasing vehicles in a foreign country. When leasing vehicles in another country it is advisable to purchase liability and physical damage insurance at the time the vehicle is rented. The vehicle insurance cost will be reimbursable when leasing vehicles in foreign countries.

Personal Vehicles used for University business or for approved activities are not covered by the University's vehicle insurance. The rationale for this State policy is that mileage reimbursement is sufficient to cover the cost of the owner's insurance. In the event of an accident, the State may accept liability for judgments in excess of the owner's insurance coverage. Further, University employees who are injured in the accident are usually covered by Workers' Compensation. Other parties involved must recover damages from the vehicle's owner. Persons driving their own vehicles on University business and involved in an accident are requested to keep the Office for Risk Management apprised of the situation; ODU may be able to assist in the resolution of the matter.

During trips involving voluntary student activities, students may feel that it is cost-effective to car pool, in which students use their own vehicles, however, students' personal vehicles used for University business or for approved activities are not covered by the University's vehicle insurance.

It is commonplace for contracting organizations to exchange Certificates of Coverage to demonstrate that they have insurance coverage. ODU's Office for Risk Management will provide such certificates on behalf of the Commonwealth. Requests should be submitted via email five (5) business days in advance of the date the certificate is needed.

If you need to provide proof of coverage and there is no MOU, contract, or other written agreement you can download and email the company/institution the Memorandum of Liability Coverage document or send them this link.

Contract Review for Certificate of Coverage:

  • The use of outside facilities must be for official ODU business or be an approved event in order to receive the Certificate of Coverage.
  • As a public agency, ODU is not permitted to add other entities as additional insurers to the Commonwealth's self-insurance comprehensive liability program, nor can we provide contractual liability coverage that would assume contractual indemnification or hold harmless provisions.
  • All contracts and agreements must be signed by an authorized ODU representative as set forth in the Memo of Delegation of Signature Authority.

Other Insurance

Old Dominion University is committed to offering and supporting safe, academically rigorous and diverse international education abroad programs and services for ODU students, faculty and staff.

The University requires that all students, faculty, and staff participating in international education abroad initiatives -- whether of a credit or non-credit nature -- carry complete international health insurance coverage for the duration of their program.

Students, faculty and staff should contact the Office of Study Abroad to facilitate compliance with the International Education Abroad Health Insurance Policy.

The University has contracted with CISI Insurance to administer international health insurance for ODU students, faculty, and staff participating in international education programs sponsored, administered, or coordinated by Old Dominion University faculty or staff. Instructions for purchasing the insurance can be found on your StudyAbroad account.

Travel and study abroad participants need to be aware of additional risks that may be unique to traveling abroad and living in a particular country or region. It is recommended that students visit the State Department Alerts and Warnings page.

For more information concerning the travel abroad program and its requirements, please contact the Office of Study Abroad at 757-683-5378 or

Old Dominion University requires all organizations/users who host events or programs on campus for a non-ODU event, to be insured for liability. Users must provide evidence of such coverage (certificate of insurance) to the office booking your event one week prior to the event. This requirement can be satisfied by purchasing a general liability policy or by providing a certificate of insurance. Old Dominion University does not endorse any one insurance company as there are many to choose from, but the below information may be an option for your event.

The TULIP is a Tenants' and Users' Liability Insurance Policy, also known as "Events Coverage". It is used by institutions who permit "third parties" to use their facilities for specific events. It protects both the Facility User and the Institution against claims by third parties who may be injured or lose property as a result of participating in an event. Events may range from very low risk events such as classroom seminars, receptions or weddings to higher risk events including camps, sports events or rock concerts.

To purchase this insurance, visit:


Old Dominion University requires all non-university sport camps who host events or programs on campus to be insured for general liability in the amount of $2,000,000 per occurrence and a $3,000,000 annual aggregate adding ODU as an Additional Insured, as well as a Certificate of Insurance evidencing general liability insurance that must be provided to ODU prior to the camp event. Old Dominion University does not endorse any one insurance company as there are many to choose from, but the below information may be a good option for your camp program.

The URMIA Sport Camp Insurance Program provides low-cost, best-in-class sport-specific insurance to your camps and allows you to name the University facility you are using as an additional insured. The URMIA Sport Camp Insurance Program protects the camp, its coaches and counselors, and the host institution against claims by individuals who could be injured as a result or participation in a sports camp. Please read the Sport Camp Insurance Program brochure for more information and a breakdown of the policy limits.

To purchase this insurance, visit:

University Policy 3015 requires operators of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS- also known as Drones, Aerials and Other Powered Model Aircraft) to obtain an ODU-issued Operator's Permit, be FAA registered, and to have and maintain UAS/Drone insurance coverage.

Most commercial liability policies and personal homeowners and renters policies exclude liability coverage for UAS/Drone operation. Therefore, operators will need to secure coverage separately.

  • Commercial operators will need to provide a Certificate of Insurance showing at least $2,000,000 in coverage and include Old Dominion University as an additional insured on its UAS/Drone Aviation coverage.
  • Hobbyist operators need to provide evidence of insurance coverage as well, and can work with the ODU Drone Club to obtain Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) Membership, which includes the coverage ODU requires.
  • Other UAS operators needing to obtain UAS/Drone insurance may contact Global Aerospace, an aviation insurance company offering on-demand UAS/Drone insurance coverage for around $10 per hour.

Property Coverage

University Property Coverage and Claims

Vehicle Coverage

Automobile Claims Information

Enterprise Risk Management

ODU embraces a risk-aware institutional culture