[ skip to content ]

Toggle Mobile Menu


More Information about this image

Under Armour Bookstore display.

How do I get approval for a T-shirt design for an approved University Club or my department?

Please submit your design, together with details of which IMGCL licensee you are using, or considering, to licensing@odu.edu for approval. For University Student Clubs, please also ensure that you have the appropriate approvals from Leadership & Student Involvement. Always follow University Procurement and Policies before ordering.

How do I order t-shirts and/or other merchandise?

A licensed vendor must be used for all campus merchandise, whether for departmental use, promotional giveaway items or for fundraising resale. Please appropriate approval from you department's leadership before ordering. Once you have obtained the appropriate approvals needed, you may choose a licensed vendor to manufacture your product.

When and why do I need approval to use the University and/or Athletic Logo(s)?

Whenever any trademark is used that identifies, or is associated with Old Dominion University requires written authorization by the Director of Licensing. This includes applying the University name to merchandise, not just the logo use. For more information, please refer to: Insert link to on campus link

The Athletics logo (ODU crown logo and its variations including Big Blue) is reserved exclusively for use by the Athletics Department and its sponsors and licensees.

Can any vendor or individual produce product with ODU trademarks?

Per University policy, only officially licensed vendors are allowed to produce product bearing ODU trademarks. Please reference University Trademark Licensing Policy 2300. https://www.odu.edu/about/policiesandprocedures/university/2000/2300

What's the acceptable use policy for department/University trademarks?

To create a consistent message in our University branding, we have to reduce the number of secondary logos. The prescribed Companion Mark for departments, which complements the University Signature Mark, is set out in the University Brand Standards.

The representation of a University department or University initiative should use the University branding, which already carries significant goodwill and recognition. A secondary logo for a program will not be approved and/or you may be requested to cease using it. If you want to brand a program or initiative, the University Signature Mark should serve as your umbrella and then the header and message/text would explain the program.

Which departmental logos are approved?

Secondary department logos are not permitted under the University Identity Standards. Logos for non-Athletic departmental use must include the University and following the prescribed guidelines, as set out in the University Brand Book https://www.odu.edu/content/dam/odu/offices/university-marketing-communications/docs/odu-brand-book.pdf. Any new request for a department logo must first be approved by University Marketing and Communications.

Can I sell my product at the Bookstore?

While the University Village Bookstore only sells licensed product, it is not obligated to sell the product of all Old Dominion University licensees. It is up to the licensee to market, sell, and distribute its product within the distribution channels permitted within its license.

What fees, if any, are associated once I have an approved design?

If you are ordering your product through an existing licensee, while the application process itself requires no payment, (unless you are paying for additional design costs), there may be digitization costs and also royalties will be assessed. If any royalties are payable on your product, the licensed vendor will include them on the cost to you. The licensed vendor is responsible for accounting royalties to IMG Collegiate Licensing (IMGCL), the University's licensing agent, not you.

Can I add a name to a replica jersey I've already purchased?

NCAA policy prohibits the sale of merchandise referring to a current student athlete's name and number. If you personally add the players name to a replica jersey or utilize their name or image on or in any product or merchandise, you could be risking that student-athlete's eligibility.

How do I report an infringement?

If you believe that you have seen products or services that appear to not be licensed by Old Dominion University, please send the details to the Director of Licensing, 5115 Hampton Boulevard, 1006G Koch Hall, Norfolk, VA 23529 or via email licensing@odu.edu.

How do I get a license?

There are three main questions to ask yourself to determine which license best suits you.
1. Do you wish to sell your product through retail stores? Local or Standard License
2. Do you wish to sell items to internal departments only? Internal Campus Supplier Agreement
3. Do you wish to sell only to craft fairs, bazaars, and other local farmers market events? Crafter's License