Owens House pays homage to the legacy of local civil rights icon and long-time supporter of Old Dominion University, Dr. Hugo A. Owens Sr. Located on 49th street near Powhatan Avenue, Owens House is the newest residence hall in the Runte Quad neighborhood, near the Webb Center, the P.O.D. market in Dominion House, and the Student Recreation Center.
At five stories and housing 470 students, it is ODU's second largest residential facility intentionally designed to foster partnership between residential living and academic success. Students living in Owens House are encouraged to engage, study, create, and grow into citizens that benefit the fabric of the Monarch Community.
Owens House Features:
- Both single and double style rooms
- Customizable furniture which allows students to adjust their space into multiple configurations
- Two large classrooms, project rooms, and ample study spaces that support academic initiatives and student engagement in course-specific studies
|Single gender within room
|Single or Double occupancy
|1 per 2-3 students
|Residence halls remain open during breaks, with the exception of Winter Break.
On Campus Address:
1501 W. 49th Street
Norfolk, VA 23508
Hall Phone Numbers:
757-683-5208 (Community Desk)
757-683-4256 (Residence Hall Director)
757-683-5181 (Assistant Hall Director)
Residence Hall communities offer 24-hour desk services.
Adaptive modular furniture allows students to adjust and customize their space into multiple configurations with no tools needed!
- Adjustable Extra Long Twin Bed (36"x80")
- Closet with clothes rod and shelf
Customize Your Room
Each bathroom is furnished with one toilet and one shower with a shower curtain/rod. A sink with mirror is provided in each bedroom. One bathroom per 2-3 students.
Owens House is the home of four Living-Learning Communities:
- Cybersecurity LLC
- Engineering LLC
- Gaming LLC
- Health Professions LLC
To learn more about these communities, visit the Living-Learning Communities page.
- 24-hour information desk
- Secured with ODU ID card access
- Housekeeping for community areas
- Laundry & Kitchenettes on most floors
- Study spaces & shared lounges on each floor
- Wireless residential community. In lieu of hardwired coaxial cables and ethernet ports, streaming TV service and wireless Internet are available. To use these services, students should verify that their computer is able to connect to WiFi, and that their TV has an HDMI port (a SmartTV is not required).
- Wireless printing
- Movie Streaming
- Pool table (5th floor, 200 side)
- Community space (5th floor, 100 side)
- Two academic classrooms
- One computer lab
- Innovation Lab
Owens House has a 9-month contract commitment which covers the fall and spring semesters. Each semester is billed separately, due dates are established by the Office of Finance.