[ skip to content ]

Toggle Mobile Menu

Office of Visa & Immigration Service AdvisingVisa Categories

More Information about this image

Dragas Hall with students going to class

F-1 Student Visa

This is the most common visa for international students; approximately 85 percent of ODU's international students have this status.

J-1 Student Visa

J-1 Student visa holders are at Old Dominion University via an exchange agreement or similar arrangement with a variety of agencies.

H-1B Visa

This nonimmigrant visa status may be used to employ an individual in a professional position at Old Dominion University.

J Scholar Visa

Old Dominion University hosts many international visitors each year as researchers and faculty via this program.

J-1 Student Interns

The J-1 Student Intern category--different from the J-1 Student and the J-1 Scholar categories--was created by the Department of State in order to provide students from other countries the opportunity to participate in an internship abroad while studying at a degree-seeking post-secondary accredited institution that fulfills the student's educational objective in his/her home country.