International Student Health Insurance Requirement

All F-1 and J-1 visa holders with documents issued from Old Dominion University MUST purchase health insurance contracted by ODU or an approved waiver. UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (UHCSR) is the current provider of health insurance for Old Dominion University. The plan is designed specifically for international students, J-1 exchange visitors, degree-seeking graduate students, and post-Doctoral researchers in order to provide adequate coverage at reasonable cost.

  • The plan complies with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requirements for student health plans and with Virginia mandates. This plan is rated as Gold level coverage and designed to pay approximately 80% of the total cost of the policy's benefits.
  • No annual plan maximum
  • 100% student health center and preventative care at in-network provider
  • $250 annual deductible per person in-network, $500 annual deductible per person out-of-network
  • Low out of picket maximum: $4,000 in-network out of pocket maximum; $7,000 out-of-network out of pocket maximum
  • 20% co-insurance in-network; 50 % co-insurance out-of-network
  • Deductibles, co-insurance and co-pays (including prescriptions) all apply to the out of pocket maximum
  • The in-network preferred provider is United Healthcare Choice Plus
  • The mental health network provider is United Behavioral Health
  • The Medical Evacuation and Repatriation service provider is UHC Global
  • The prescription drug benefit requires use of an in-network pharmacy

For more information about the plan, including plan brochure, summary, and plan exclusions, see:

F-1/J-1 Students and J-1 Scholars
You are automatically enrolled for the continued coverage when you enroll for classes. As always, you need to ensure that your SEVIS U.S. address in LeoOnline is correct, as UHCSR will use this address to mail correspondence to you.

J-2s must, per federal law, have health insurance that meets requirements outlined by the Department of State, and documentation of coverage must be submitted to VISA. UHCSR is still available for this coverage, if desired. Because health care in the U.S. is very expensive, F-1s are strongly encouraged to have insurance for their F-2 dependent(s) at all times. You can purchase coverage for your dependent via your UHCSR account or by submitting a paper form in our office.

Students on OPT/Academic Training
Students on OPT (F-1) and Academic Training (J-1) can continue medical coverage with UHCSR after graduation. Students have the option to enroll on a semester or month-to-month basis. If you wish to enroll, please contact us at You will pay your premium via a payment link emailed from UHCSR.

Post-Doctoral Researchers
Post-Doctoral positions hired by Old Dominion University or the ODU Research Foundation are eligible to enroll in this insurance plan.

Rates Annual:
8-1-22 to
8-1-22 to
1-1-23 to
Student $2683 $1118 $1,565
Dependent $2,981 $1242 $1,739

If you graduate in May or travel outside the United States for the summer, please know UHCSR will NOT provide a partial refund.

Your insurance will be added to your tuition statement when you register for courses. There are two ways to pay for your coverage: payment in full by the tuition deadline or multiple payments over the course of the semester with a payment plan.

You can sign up for the payment plan which will break down your tuition bill (including health insurance premiums) into four equal installments. The payment plan can be set up through LeoOnline.

There are very limited circumstances in which students can be waived from UHCSR. Cases where an exemption may be possible (pending review of proper documentation):

  1. Student's parent or spouse is employed by an American organization providing health insurance via a U.S.-based insurance provider; and/or
  2. Embassy-sponsored students whose embassy is directly funding tuition & fees, living expenses and health insurance. Health insurance must be from a U.S.-based company and the coverage must be equal to or greater than the benefits required by ODU; in addition, a copy of the current sponsorship letter must be submitted to VISA.

Both of the above items require documentation be submitted to VISA. To be eligible for this waiver, the insurance in question must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Have unlimited maximum benefit for covered medical expenses per accident or illness with no lifetime limit, and
  • Comply with the Commonwealth of Virginia mandates as well as be equal to or greater than the Gold Plan of the Affordable Care Act, and
  • Be filed and approved for sale in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and
  • Provide medical evacuation to student's home country in the amount of $50,000, and
  • Provide repatriation of remains to student's home country in the amount of $25,000, and
  • Cover preventative care without a waiting period, and
  • Be based in the United States.

If you meet one of the two waiver eligibilities, please e-mail to request the waiver form. The form, along with all supporting documentation, must be submitted to the VISA office by the stated deadline in the email sent to the mailing list.

Graduate assistants being paid $5,000 or more per semester who enroll in the UHCSR insurance plan are eligible for a health insurance subsidy. The subsidy for GAs earning $5,000 or more per semester will be $1,100 annually$500 for the fall semester and $600 for the spring semester. This taxable subsidy will be paid mid-semester directly to the student. Questions regarding the process for the GA subsidy and eligibility requirements may be e-mailed to

Eligible international graduate assistants will automatically receive the subsidy. Please do not register for the subsidized plan.

  • The semester health fee allows you to use the Student Health Center on campus. The semester fee is not reimbursable by UHCSR.
  • UHCSR will reimburse all fee-for-service charges at the Student Health Center.
  • Be sure to PRESENT your insurance ID card at the time of your visit. The Student Health Center will submit a claim to UHCSR on your behalf.
  • Utilize the services available at Student Health Services to reduce your out-of-pocket costs (the amount you pay.)

UnitedHealthcare StudentResources has partnered with SureBridge to offer VOLUNTARY vision and dental insurance plans . You can purchase vision and/or dental benefits HERE.

ODU also has a Dental Hygiene Care Facility on campus. The dental clinic offers ONLY preventative care (no fillings for existing cavities, root canal or dental surgeries). Please view the full list of their services and fees HERE. The clinic is open from September through June with the exceptions of holidays, semester breaks, and spring and summer vacations.

To schedule an appointment, please call 757-683-4308, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  1. If it is a life-threatening emergency: Call ODU Public Safety (757-683-4000) or 911 for immediate assistance.
  2. To reach the "on-call clinician" after hours or on weekends: Call Public Safety (757.963.4000) and ask to speak to the on-call clinician. Public Safety will page the on-call clinician, who will then call the student and advise them accordingly.
  3. HealthiestYou provides you 24/7 access to board-certified physicians via phone and/or video. This service is especially helpful for minor illnesses, such as allergies, sore throat, earache, pink eye, etc. Every call with a HealthiestYou doctor is covered 100% during your coverage period.

1. Where can I receive my outstanding vaccinations?

Students can receive all state required vaccinations from the Student Health Services center. UHCSR will cover services received at Student Health Services at 100%.

2. How do I receive my health insurance ID card?

  • Step 1: Go to the UnitedHealthcare StudentResources website for Old Dominion University:
  • Step 2: Select ID Card in the navigation menu or login to your MyAccount.
  • OR: Download the United Health app

If you have not set up your MyAccount, you will need to create it. Follow the onscreen prompts - you'll need your ODU email address and your UIN

3. How can I benefit from the preventive care service?

The Affordable Care Act requires insurance plans to offer free preventative care. These services are free only when delivered by a doctor or other provider in your plan's network. Click here to view preventative care services for all adults, women and children.

4. What services are available at ODU’s Student Health Services?

Student Health Services provides primary care for enrolled students. The majority of services are provided by physicians, nurse practitioners, and a physician assistant.

  • Student Health Services offers:
    - primary care services for acute illness and assistance with monitoring of stable chronic illnesses;
    - care for injuries, but not emergency room services;
    - gynecological services including breast exams, pap smears, contraceptive options and screening for sexually transmitted infections.
  • Allergy injections can be given at Student Health Services center. The student must supply the serum and detailed instructions from the allergist. The allergist must administer the first injection.
  • Student Health Services does not have a full-service pharmacy, but providers can write prescriptions that can be filled at local pharmacies. Some medications are administered on site.
  • Student Health can perform EKGs and give short-term intravenous therapy, when indicated.
  • Student Health Services can provide referrals to specialists in the area when indicated.
  • All required immunizations may be obtained at the Student Health Services center.
  • Student Health Services has an on-site laboratory. Many tests are performed in the Student Health Services center during the appointment. Other tests are performed by our off-site reference laboratory. Fees are charged for lab work sent off-site to the reference laboratory. Laboratory tests performed on site are done at no charge to the student.

5. When I graduate, when does my coverage end?

Your insurance will terminate at the end of the health insurance term for your current plan enrollment.

  • For student graduating in fall, the coverage will end on December 31.
  • For students graduating in spring and summer, the coverage will end on July 31.

If you graduate in May or travel outside the United States for the summer, please know UHCSR will not provide a partial refund.

Recent graduates can use Student Health Services up to one semester after the graduation semester. For example, if you graduate in May, you can render services from SHS in the summer semester.

Students on Optional Practical Training can purchase insurance on a semester and/or monthly basis. Please see the 'Enrollment for OPT students' section above for more info.

6. Are physical exams included in UHCSR coverage?

Preventative care, including routine screening and annual physicals, are covered at 100%. For the full list of benefits and exclusions, please visit

7. I'm going back to my country for winter break. Am I covered?

Students are not covered in their home country if the home country has universal healthcare. Students are covered by UnitedHealthcare Global's services during their enrollment period in the U.S. and when traveling outside of their home country.

8. I am attending a conference in Germany. Do I need to purchase additional enrollment for my visa interview?

UHCSR insurance meets the Schengen visa's health insurance requirements. You can request an enrollment letter by contact the UHCSR customer service at 800-767-0700.

9. What should I do if I did not receive my subsidy for this semester?

If you did not receive the health insurance subsidy, please contact

10. What should I do if I do not receive a reimbursement check within 30 days from UHCSR after visiting the Student Health Services?

First, you should make sure that the health insurance card was provided to Student Health Services. Also, make sure your SEVIS U.S. address is up-to-date. Contact UHCSR directly for an update on the reimbursement check. You are welcome to contact our office for assistance at

11. The doctor’s office said my claim was denied for no coverage, but I know I'm covered. What happened?

UnitedHealthcare StudentResources is a big company. It's possible that your doctor's office sent the claim to the wrong address. Check with them to confirm your claims went to UnitedHealthcare StudentResources and NOT UnitedHealthcare. The correct address is on the back of your insurance ID Card. You are welcome to contact our office for assistance at

Need to...

My Account

What is an EOB?

Not Sure Where to Go?

Important Contact Info

United Healthcare Student Resources


Student Health Services*


Graduate School


*Students with urgent health concerns may reach the on-call clinician after hours by calling ODU Public Safety at 757-683-4000. Their dispatcher will call the on-call clinician who will return your call.

If you have an emergency, please call 911 or ODU Public Safety at 757-683-4000