Frequently Asked Questions

The practice of Risk Management is identifying and analyzing loss exposures other than business risks and taking steps to minimize the financial impact of those risks.

Old Dominion University incorporates Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) methodology and practices into its overall strategic planning.

The Commonwealth of Virginia provides worldwide insurance protection for all State agencies and their personnel through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Risk Management Plan (the PLAN). In general, this coverage includes liability (general, professional, and automobile), property, medical malpractice, automobile physical damage (Car Care), fidelity bond (faithful performance and crime), and watercraft.

Faculty, staff, and other agents who are acting within the course and scope of their employment are covered under the PLAN.

Students are covered only while participating in an authorized scope of a clinical, internship, externship, or other educational program in order to meet pedagogical requirements.

  1. Call the Virginia State Police (800-582-8350) for off-campus accidents and the University Police for on-campus accidents (757-683-4000).
  2. Fill out the paperwork located in the Accident Packet located in the glove compartment of all state-owned vehicles.
  3. Contact your Supervisor.
  4. Contact the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009) and complete an Automobile Loss Incident Form within 24 hours of the accident.
  5. If you're an employee injured while on official business, also submit a Workers Compensation Accident Report form to Human Resources.

No. The owner of a vehicle is financially responsible for losses due to the operation of that vehicle. The Commonwealth of Virginia's Risk Management Plan may provide defense and payment in excess of your policy. The PLAN would still only pay up to $2,000,000 excess of your personal policy limits.

A non-state employee may drive a state owned vehicle if authorized by the appropriate person in the State agency. Anyone driving a State owned vehicle with authorization on state business is considered an agent and is covered through the Commonwealth of Virginia's Risk Management Plan.

A claim can only be considered if there is clear evidence that the damage occurred as a result of negligence on the part of the University or if a state owned vehicle can be identified as having caused the damage.

The personal property of faculty, staff, students, contractors, and visitors is ordinarily excluded from coverage. The exception to this policy is when the property is a written condition of employment that you provide your own tools, equipment, camera, computer, etc. and that has been agreed to before a loss, then the items are covered. A copy of this agreement must be on file with the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and Human Resources along with an itemized list of the items and their values. This requirement must be documented in the position description (PD) or in a memorandum from the department head to the ORM and Human Resources prior to the loss/damage. Upon the loss or damage contact the University Police (757-683-4000) and the ORM (757-683-4009). Otherwise coverage can usually be found under a homeowner's policy.

The department that owns or operates the property or vehicle is responsible for the damage and comprehensive deductible of $1,000 per occurrence.

If it is at all possible to replace the stolen/damaged item with the same brand and model that was lost, you should do so. The State reimburses the University for replacement with the same model or nearest equivalent. In some cases it isn't possible to replace the item with the exact model due to discontinuation of some items. In those cases, you would need to find the nearest equivalent to the lost or damaged item(s). If you do this you must provide the specifications for the original item and the specifications for the replacement of the like item. If you do choose to upgrade the item, instead of purchasing the same item or nearest equivalent, the Division of Risk Management will reimburse ODU for the cost of the item minus any cost for upgrading the item.

Report the incident to University Police (757-683-4000) and the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009).

The University insures all the property it owns, on and off campus. Under certain circumstances it also insures property departments rent, lease, or borrow. Property coverage is worldwide and is based on the actual replacement or repair cost. Further, there is a $1,000 deductible per claim, paid by the department(s) that suffered the loss.

If there is imminent danger call 911, otherwise notify the department responsible and the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009).

If you know someone who may be going through a difficult time or has raised safety concerns with their speech, behavior, or gestures, you may also report your concerns to the University's Threat Education Assessment Team (TEAM) by completing a Concern Referral Form.

First seek medical attention. If the injury is serious contact University Police (757-683-4000) and the Office of Risk Management (757-683-4009). If you are an employee, contact Human Resources regarding Workers' Compensation and file a Workers' Compensation Accident Report.

No, all vendors, contractors, and other groups using ODU property must show proof of their own insurance.

It is strongly recommended that a written contract or memorandum of understanding be prepared that states the responsibilities of both parties. In general, the landlord should be responsible for the safe condition of the facility. ODU should be responsible for only the event and the negligent acts or omissions of its employees and agents. Items like security, parking, and maintenance should be addressed in the contract. If the landlord insists that ODU indemnify, hold harmless, or make the property owner an additional insured, the matter must be referred to the Office of Risk Management (ORM) and/or University Counsel. In addition, if requested, ORM will send the other party a Certificate of Insurance that will demonstrate ODU's insurance coverage.

The Office for Compliance and Risk Management (OCRM) provides proof of insurance coverage. If you need to provide proof of coverage and there is no MOU, contract, or other written agreement you can download and email the company/institution the Memorandum of Liability Coverage document or send them this link.

If there is an MOU, contract, or other written agreement our office will need to review the document for compliance with the Commonwealth Risk Management Plan and Tort Claims Act. You can then upload the document as an attachment when you submit your Request for a Certificate of Coverage/Insurance online at this link. All written agreements must comply with Policy #1500: Delegation of Authority for Contract Approval and be approved by University Counsel.

Certain Schools and Colleges, due to the volume of certificates being issued, have a contract pre-approval process in place for affiliation agreements. This pre-approval process should continued to be used for those schools and colleges in need of a certificate of coverage/insurance.

Contact the Office of Risk Management prior to putting the watercraft in service. Be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Appraisal, with value, of watercraft
  • Hull make, size and identification number

  • Only certain campus officials are authorized to sign contracts on behalf of the University. Before anything else, consult University Counsel and/or Department of Procurement.
  • For purchase orders and procurement contracts, boilerplate language specifies the kind of insurance the vendor is to supply, so queries should be directed to the Department of Procurement.
  • For leases or other contracts involving the use of outside property, consult University Counsel and/or Department of Procurement.
  • These offices coordinate their insurance strategies with the Office of Risk Management, so there's no need to call us directly.

No. Students performing internships/externships per externship/internship/affiliate agreements are not volunteers.

Yes. University Policy #3014: Minor on Campus is in place to minimize the risk of harm to minors, to limit the potential liability of the University, its faculty, staff and students, and to establish compliance with Virginia Code Section 63.2-1509 requiring persons employed by an institution of higher education to report certain injuries to children (minors). As such, this policy establishes guidelines for the appropriate supervision of minors who are involved in University-sponsored programs held at the University or other locations controlled by the University as defined by the Clery Act. This policy also establishes guidelines for minors in the classroom and the workplace in order to minimize potential liability to the University, risk of harm to minors, and decreased employee productivity due to distractions and disruptions.

Please see the University Policy 3014 Minors on Campus and the Office for Compliance and Risk Management website on Youth Programs for more information.

Yes. University Policy #1007: Travel Risk Management Policy implements measures to promote the health, safety and security of members of the University community traveling for University-supported purposes, including but not limited to: study, research, internships, service, conferences, presentations, teaching, performances, competitions, field work, recruiting, etc., and to provide guidance for those whose travel is not supported by the University.

The policy requires all students, staff, and faculty to register their international national in the University Travel Registry.

Please see Policy #1007: Travel Risk Management  and the Office for Compliance and Risk Management website on travel registry requirements for details.

Yes. The Commonwealth Office of Fleet Management Services requires all state agencies to have a driver authorization program in place. The university has addressed this requirement with implementation of policy #3250: Vehicle Use Policy, which establishes requirements and procedures for the use of University vehicles, including those controlled by departments, offices, and student organizations with the University community for University business.

Please see #3250: Vehicle Use Policy for details.

Yes. The university established policy #3015: Unmanned Aircraft System to regulate the use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) on property owned, controlled or leased by the University or in the airspace above such property. The university's main campus lies in the U.S. Department of Defense controlled airspace and all flights must be coordinated with Naval Air Station Norfolk's air traffic control tower at Chamber's Field. 

Please see #3015: Unmanned Aircraft System for details.

Yes. The university establish policy #3016: University Responsibility for Enterprise Risk Management to deal with compliance risks, governance and culture risk, financial risks, operational risks, reputational risks, and strategic risks facing the University. 

Compliance risks are assessed, monitored, and reported by the responsible compliance officer from the Office for Compliance and Risk Management and follows a modified version of the COSO framework model for ERM Compliance. Culture, financial, operational, reputational, and strategic risk are assessed, monitored, and reported on by the responsible risk analyst and shall follow a modified version of the COSO Enterprise Risk Management framework. ERM compliance and ERM risk staff report to the Office for Compliance and Risk Management (OCRM) within the organization of the Vice President for Administration and Finance.

Please see policy #3016: University Responsibility for Enterprise Risk Management and the Office for Compliance and Risk Management website on Enterprise Risk Management for details.

Yes. The university established policy #1003: University Responsibility for Compliance to ensure all applicable laws, rules, and regulations that govern the University and its mandated oversight agencies and organizations imposing requirements on the University are understood, complied with, and reported. The risks of non-compliance can be significant, and may include, but are not limited to, loss of accreditation, reputation, and/or funding, financial and non-financial penalties, and potential criminal prosecution. 

The Associate Director for University Compliance, reporting to the Executive Director for Compliance and Risk Management, is responsible for the application of this program.

Please see policy #1003: University Responsibility for Compliance  and the Office for Compliance and Risk Management website on compliance for details.

Yes. The university established the Environmental Health and Safety Office within the Office for Compliance and Risk Management. The Environmental Health & Safety Office (EHSO) is responsible for the administration of programs that promote a safe and healthful environment for the University community. This is accomplished through prudent application of sound environmental and occupational safety and health practices. The EHSO is guided by the following areas of emphasis:

  • Assist the University community in achieving compliance with applicable federal, state and local environmental, occupational safety and health and public health laws and regulations.
  • Provide professional consultation, educational programs and training to promote safe work practices, protect the environment, and achieve regulatory compliance.
  • Pursue close communication, trust and commitments with the University and regulatory agencies that will foster cooperation in achieving departmental goals and regulatory compliance.

The Director of Environmental Health and Safety, reporting to the Executive Director for Compliance and Risk Management, is responsible for the application of this program.

Please see University Policy 3223 Environmental Health and Occupational Safety and the Environmental Health and Safety website for details.

The Commonwealth of Virginia requires its agencies to maintain a vehicle accident review committee to determine if vehicular accidents are preventable by the university driver and if so, follow established guidelines for discipline. University policy #3240: Accident Review Commitee establishes to the responsibilities and requirements of individuals who operate State-owned licensed motor vehicles for which ODU is responsible and the University's Accident Review Committee role in the review of accidents involving such vehicles.

The Executive Director for Compliance and Risk Management, is responsible for the application of this program and serves as the Chair of the committee.

Please see University Policy 3240 Accident Review Committee for details.