Dr. Tina Gustin has over 35-years of advanced practice nursing experience. She received her undergraduate degree from the Medical College of Virginia, which is now Virginia Commonwealth University. She received her master’s degree as a Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist from the University of Virginia, and her Doctor of Nursing Practice degree from Old Dominion University. She is currently an Assistant Professor at Old Dominion University School of Nursing where she teaches in the Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. Dr. Gustin was most recently appointed as the Director of the school’s Center for Telehealth Innovation, Education, and Research (C-TIER). The center will serve as a telehealth learning hub and research center not only for the state but also the East Coast Region of the United States. She is the clinical manager for the Pediatric Telehealth program at Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in Norfolk Virginia. Dr. Gustin has been responsible for the development of this new program and assuring clinical competence of the telehealth providers. Dr. Gustin’s research has focused on interprofessional team-based care and how telehealth can be used as the instrument for connecting providers to providers and providers to patients. Dr. Gustin has an interest in the unique skill set necessary to conduct a successful telehealth encounter. She has developed one instrument designed to measure telehealth etiquette knowledge and another that measures team telehealth performance with a focus on communication and etiquette. She has been the PI and Co-PI for several Health and Human Services Administration (HRSA) grants totally over 6 million dollars. These grants have aimed at reaching the rural and underserved though telehealth and interprofessional collaboration. Dr. Gustin has published and presented on both interprofessional team-based care and telelehealth both nationally and internationally. She served on the American Nurses Association task force for technology and was most recently elected to the Center for Telehealth and eHealth (CTel) Advisory Board. She is currently the Co-Chair for CTel's Interprofesional Telehealth Education Task Force that is developing competencies and standards for training multiple professionals for telehealth delivery. She has been invited to several nursing and medical schools to assist in the development of a telehealth curriculum and to present her work
D.N.P. in Nursing Practice, Old Dominion University, (2011)
M.S.N. in Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist, University of Virginia, (1987)
B.S.N. in Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, (1984)
- STAR Telehealth Presenter and Educator Certification
- Sponsoring Organization: STAR
- Date Obtained: 2015-04-01
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Sponsoring Organization: Virginia Board of Nursing
- Date Obtained: 1987-05-01
- Registered Nurse
- Sponsoring Organization: Virginia Board of Nursing
- Date Obtained: 1984-05-01
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Chung, S., Davis, B., Gustin, T. S., Leichtweis, R., Beers, L., Sood, B., Osler, S., Davis, E. and Adams, F. "VMAP-Virginia Mental Health Access Program" $2,225,000. Federal. October 2018 - October 2023
- Rutledge, C. M., Gustin, T. S.., Nesbitt, C. and Cartagena, D. "Strategies to Improve Health Outcomes and to Reduce Disparities in Rural Populations" $2,191,948. Federal. -
- Gustin, T., Rutledge, C. M., Kott, K., Fowler, N., Poston, R. R. and Hoch, J. "APN-CPR: Optimizing APN Readiness to Address Rural and Undeserved Needs" $1,059,220. Federal. July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2019
- Thibodeau, t., Ryal, J., Peglow, S., Collumb, E., Plunk, A. and Gustin, T. S. "Recovery Education Advancing Community Health (REACH)" $2,000,000. Federal. -
- Martin, J., Temblay, B., Gustin, T. S. and Sharp, P. "Building Capacity and Bridging Education Gaps: A Social Determinants of Health and Food Insecurity Health Learning Hub" $10,000. Private. June 2018 - December 2018
- Martin, J., Tremblay, B., Gustin, T. S., Bishop, P. and Karlowicz, K. A. "Building Capacity and Bridging Education Gaps: A Social Determinants of Health Food Insecurity Health Learning Hub" $10,000. Other. June 2018 - December 2018
- Rutledge, C. M., Gustin, T., Poston, R. R., Wiles, L. and Gupta, A. "Advanced Nursing Education Program" $2,036,758. Federal. June 2015 - July 2018
- Karlowicz, K. A., Fowler, N., Gupta, A., Kott, K. and Gustin, T. "Feasibility of using off the shelf smart watches to monitor biometrics in older adults residing in Assisted Living" $2,500. Old Dominion University. July 2017 - September 2017
- Gustin, T. "Telehealth is More Than Technology: A Tool for Measuring Provider Performance" $7,000. Old Dominion University. June 2017 - August 2017
Interprofessional education, telehealth, telehealth etiquette
- Gustin, T. S., Kott, K. and Rutledge, C. M. (2019). Telehealth etiquette training: Preparing interprofessional teams for successful encounters. Nurse Educator.
- Gustin, T., Birkholz, L. and Rutledge, C. M. (2018). A Workshop for Addressing the Impact of the Imposter Syndrome on Clinical Nurse Specialists. CLINICAL NURSE SPECIALIST 32 (4) , pp. 189-194.
- Nease, B. M. and Gustin, T. S. (2018). Evaluating an Art-Based Intervention to Improve Practicing Nurses’ Observation, Description, and Problem Identification Skills. Journal for nurses in professional development 34 (1) , pp. 2--7.
- Gustin, T., Kott, K., Rutledge, C. M., Britton, B., Fowler, N. and Poston, R. D. (2018). How to Prepare Interprofessional Teams in Two Weeks: An Innovative Education Program Nested in Telehealth. International journal of nursing education scholarship 15 (1).
- Schweickert, P., Rheuban, K. S., Cattell-Gordon, D., Rose, R. L., Wiles, L., Gustin, T. S. and Rutledge, C. M. (2018). The APN-PLACE Telehealth Education Network: Legal and regulatory considerations. Journal of Nursing Regulation 9 (1) , pp. 47-51.
- Birkholz, L. and Haney, H. S. (2018). Using a dyspnea assessment tool to improve care at the end of life. The Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing 20 (3) , pp. 219-227.
- Schweickert, P., Rheuban, K., Cattell-Gordon, D., Rose, R., Wiles, L., Reed, K., Reid, K., Fowler, N., Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (2018). The APN-PLACE Telehealth Education Network: Legal and Regulatory Considerations for Telehealth Enhanced Clinical Education. Journal of Nurse Regulations 9 (1) , pp. 47-51.
- Poston, R. R., Gustin, T., Kott, K. and Rutledge, C. M. (2017). Interprofessional team performance, optimized. Nursing Management 48 (7) , pp. 36-43.
- Gustin, T. S., Bishop, P., Nesbitt, C. and Poston, R. R. (2017). Innovative intraprofessional clinical training for clinical nurse specialists and nurse practitioner students. Journal of Nursing Education 56 (12) , pp. 748-751.
- Rutledge, C. M., Kott, K., Sweickert, P., Poston, R. R., Fowler, N. and Gustin, T. S. (2017). Telehealth and eHealth in Nurse Practitioner Training: Current Perspectives. Advances in Medical Education and Practice 8 , pp. 399-401.
- Fowler, N., Gustin, T. S. and Lemaster, M. F. (2016). Helping dementia patients through technology, the future is here. Home Healthcare Now 34 (5) , pp. 203-209.
- Cajares, C., Rutledge, C. M. and Gustin, T. S. (2016). Animal assisted therapy in a special needs dental practice: An interprofessional model for anxiety reduciton. Journal of Intellectual Disability Diagnosis and Treatment 4 (1) , pp. 25-28.
- Hoquee, K. F., Gustin, T. S. and Kott, K. (2015). Educating counselors to practice interprofessionally through creative classroom experiences. The Journal of Creativity in Mental Health 10 (4) , pp. 488-506.
- Gustin, T. S. and Adams Tufts, K. (2012). A pilot study using electronic communication in home healthcare: implications on parental well-being and satisfaction caring for medically fragile children.. Home healthcare nurse 30 (4) , pp. 216-24.
- Rutledge, C. M., Renaud, M., Garzon, L. S., Bordelon, M., Gustin, T. S. and Gregory, D. (2011). Educating advanced practice DNPs in using social media in rural healthcare. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship 8 (1) , pp. 1-14.
- Kelly, R. E., Goretsky, M. J., Obermeyer, R., Kuhn, M. A., Redlinger, R., Gustin, T. S., Moskowitz, A. and Nuss, D. (2010). Twenty-one years of experience with minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum by the Nuss procedure in 1215 patients.. Annals of surgery 252 (6) , pp. 1072-81.
- Creswick, H. A., Stacey, M. W., Kelly, Jr, R. E., Gustin, T., Nuss, D., Harvey, R. H., Goretsky, M. J., Vasser, E., Welch, J. C., Mitchell, K. and Proud, V. K. (2006). Family study of the inheritance of pectus excavatum.. Journal of pediatric surgery 41 (10) , pp. 1699-703.
- Cartoski, M. J., Nuss, D., Goretsky, M. J., Proud, V. K., Croitoru, D. P., Gustin, T. S., Mitchell, K., Vasser, E. and Kelly, Jr, R. E. (2006). Classification of the dysmorphology of pectus excavatum.. Journal of pediatric surgery 41 (9) , pp. 1573-81.
- Croitoru, D. P., Kelly, Jr, R. E., Goretsky, M. J., Gustin, T., Keever, R., Nuss, D. and Gustin, T. (2005). The minimally invasive Nuss technique for recurrent or failed pectus excavatum repair in 50 patients.. Journal of pediatric surgery 40 (1) , pp. 181-6; discussion 186-7.
- Nuss, D., Croitoru, D. P., Kelly, Jr, R. E., Goretsky, M. J., Nuss, K. J. and Gustin, T. S. (2002). Review and discussion of the complications of minimally invasive pectus excavatum repair.. European journal of pediatric surgery : official journal of Austrian Association of Pediatric Surgery ... [et al] = Zeitschrift fur Kinderchirurgie 12 (4) , pp. 230-4.
- Rutledge, C. M., Gustin, T. S. and Nesbitt, C. (2014). Transforming Clinical Practice Nursing Leadership and Management The Advanced Practice Role DEStech Publications.
- Gustin, T. (October 28, 2019). Telehealth Education Keynote/Plenary Address Weill Cornell University Virtual Healthcare in Mainstream Ny, NY.
- Gustin, T. (September 27, 2019). Telehealth: What DNP Leaders in Clinical and Administrative Practice Need to Know to Improve Healthcare Keynote/Plenary Address National Association of Doctor of Nursing Practice Conference Palms Sprins CA.
- Martin, J., Tremblay, B., Sharp, P., Karlowicz, K. and Gustin, T. (February 2, 2019). Collaborating for the Community: The Role of Interprofessional Practice in Addressing Current Healthcare Issues Oral Presentation Emswiller Interprofessional Symposium Richmond VA.
- Jamie, H., Gustin, T. and Kott, K. (July 29, 2018). Envisioning Access for All: Students Effectively Lead Interprofessional Teams Providing Care for the Uninsured and Impoverished in Urban Federally Qualified Health Centers Lecture NEXUS Minneapolis MN.
- Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. (July 13, 2018). Personal Strategic Planning: To Achieve Goals Never Imagined” Oral Presentation Virginia Doctor of Nursing Practice Conference Richmond VA.
- Branham, S., Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (April 19, 2018). Telehealth: A Primer for Nurse Practioner Faculty Keynote/Plenary Address National Organization of Nurse Practioner Faculty Indianapolis IN.
- Gustin, T. (April 17, 2018). Educating and Training for Effective Telehealth Care Delivery Oral Presentation MATRC Harrisburg PA.
- Fowler, N., Gustin, T., Kupta, A. and Mahly, K. (April 16, 2018). Feasibility of Using Wearable Sensors to Detect Agitation in Individuals Living with Dementia Poster MATRC Harrisburg PA.
- Gustin, T. and Kott, K. (April 16, 2018). The Interprofessiona Telehealth Communication Tool: A New Tool for Measuring Team Telealth Performance Poster MATRC Harrisburg PA.
- Kott, K., Holland, J., Gustin, T. and Britton, B. (February 4, 2018). The Interprofessional Care Clinic: Learning While Providing Care for Medically Underserved at High Risk for Preventable Hospitalization Poster Society of Teachers of Family Medicine-Conference on Medical Student Education Austin TX.
- Kott, K., Gustin, T. and Britton, B. (February 3, 2018). Telehealth a Team Sport: A New Instrument to Measure Student Performance Oral Presentation Annual Emswiller Conference Richmond VA.
- Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (January 21, 2018). Preparing Intraporfessional Groups of DNP Students to Address Social Determinants of Health Oral Presentation AACN Conference for Doctoral Education Naples FL.
- Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (January 17, 2018). An Interprofessional Student Run Clinic: Addressing Social Determinants of Health Among High Risk Patients Poster AACN Conference for Doctoral Education Naples FL.
- Poston, R. R. and Rutledge, C. M. (January 17, 2018). Innovation in Research Team Development: Utilizing Behaviorial Profiles to aid Faculty Team Development and Collaboration Among DNP and PhD Faculty Poster AACN Conference for Doctoral Education Naples FL.
- Gustin, T. (November 30, 2017). Telehealth Funding Guide: An Analysis of Trends in the World of Grant, Angel, and Private Equity Money Oral Presentation CTel Summit Washington DC.
- Gustin, T., Britton, B. and Kott, K. (October 6, 2017). The Development and Evaluation of Two Tools Desinged to Measure Telehealth Knowledge and Telehealth Performance Oral Presentation SEARCH Conference Philadelphia PA.
- Rutledge, C. M., Gustin, T. and Bates, R. (September 13, 2017). A Statewide Initiative to Empower DNP Providers: Implementing a State Organization, an Annual Conference, and Special Interest Groups Oral Presentation Doctor of Nursing Practice Conference New Orleans LA.
- Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (September 13, 2017). Preparing DNP Students to Address Population Health Disparities Through Telehealth: An Innovative Educational Approach Poster Doctor of Nursing Practice Conference New Orleans LA.
- Gustin, T. (August , 2017). Telehealth Etiquette: An Important Yet Forgotten Part of a Telehealth Visit Keynote/Plenary Address University of New Hampshire’s Annual Clinical Symposium Spotlight on Care Innovations Manchester NH.
- Gustin, T. (June 1, 2017). Telehealth Etiquette and Patient Engagement Oral Presentation CTel Summit Washington DC.
- Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (April , 2017). Telehealth Etiquette: Not an Intuitive Skill Oral Presentation SEARCH Conference Leesburg VA.
- Gustin, T. and Rutledge, C. M. (April 18, 2017). APN-PLACE: A Statewide Telehealth Infrastructure for Recruiting and Training Preceptors Oral Presentation National Organization of Nurse Practioner Faculty Washington DC.
- Gustin, T. and Kott, K. (April 17, 2017). Telehealth Etiquette: A Missing Yet Critical Piece in Telehealth Education Poster American Telehealth Association Orlando FL.
- 2019: Gene W. Hirshfield Faculty Excellence Award 2019, College of Health Sciences
- 2018: Outstanding Technology Teaching Award 2018, College of Health Sciences
- 2017: 1st Place Poster Presentation, MATRC Mid-Atlantic Telehealth Research Center
- 2017: Judges Award for Best Research Podium Presentation, SEARCH (Society for Education and the Advancement of Research in Connected Health
- 2017: Honorable Mention Nurse Educator of the Year, Virginia Nurses Association
- 2016: 2nd Place Poster Presenation, MATRC Mid-Atlantic Telehealth Research Center
- 2015: Interprofessional Award for Innovative Educational Plan , College of Health Sciences
- 2015: 2nd Place Poster Presenation, MATRC Mid-Atlantic Telehealth Research Center
- 2007: Distinguished International Speaker Award, Saudi Arabia Ministry of Health