Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Florida, (2006)
M.A. in Sociology, University of Florida, (2001)
B.A. in Sociology, University of Central Florida, (1997)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Maggard, S. and Chappell, A. T. "Solicitation for Research and Evaluation on Justice Systems: Investigator Initiated "Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative (JDAI) in Virginia and Florida: A Multi-State Investigation"" $345,038. Federal. -
- Maggard, S. and Chappell, A. T. "Summer Research Grant for Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative (JDAI) in Virginia: A Multi-Site Evaluation" $6,000. Old Dominion University. 2013 - 2013
- Maggard, S. "Junior Faculty Grant Program to Promote Criminal Justice Researcher-Practitioner Partnerships: A Statewide Evaluation of the Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative (JDAI) in Virginia " $279,039. Federal. -
- Maggard, S. "Summer Research Grant for Factors Predicting Sentencing Departures in Federal Drug Cases: Examining the Impact of United States v. Booker" $6,000. Old Dominion University. 2010 - 2010
- Maggard, S. "Juvenile Justice Innovation in Norfolk, Virginia: Examining the Factors Predicting Secure Detention " $7,000. Old Dominion University. 2009 - 2009
Substance use, race and ethnicity, drug policy, social disorganization theory, juvenile justice
- Stringer, R. and Maggard, S. (2016). Reefer Madness to Marijuana Legalization. Journal of Drug Issues 46 (4) , pp. 428-445.
- Maggard, S. (2015). Assessing the Impact of the Juvenile Detention AlternativesInitiative (JDAI): Predictors of Secure Detention and Length of StayBefore and After JDAI.. JQ: Justice Quarterly 32 (4) , pp. 571 - 597.
- Maggard, S. and Boylstein, C. (2014). Changing Masks: Identity Maintenance and the Role of Marijuana among a Small Circle of Marijuana Growers. Deviant Behavior 35 (8) , pp. 593-610.
- Chappell, A., Maggard, S. and Higgins, J. L.. (2013). Exceptions to the Rule? Exploring the Use of Overrides in Detention Risk Assessment. Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice.
- Boylstein, C. and Maggard, S. (2013). Small-Scale Marijuana Growing: Deviant Careers as Serious Leisure. HUMBOLDT JOURNAL OF SOCIAL RELATIONS (35) , pp. 52-70.
- Maggard, S., Payne, B. K. and Chappell, A. (2012). Attitudes toward capital punishment: Educational, demographic, and neighborhood crime influences . The Social Science Journal 49 (2) , pp. 155 - 166.
- Rothe, D. and Maggard, S. (2012). Factors that Impede or Facilitate Post-Conflict Justice Mechanisms?. International Criminal Law Review 12 (2) , pp. 193-217.
- Maggard, S., Higgins, J. L.. and Chappell, A. (2012). Pre-dispositional juvenile detention: an analysis of race, gender and intersectionality. Journal of Crime and Justice 36 (1) , pp. 67-86.
- Chappell, A., Maggard, S. and Gibson, S. A.. (2010). A Theoretical Investigation of Public Attitudes Toward Sex Education in Public Schools. Sociological Spectrum 30 (2) , pp. 196-219.
- Parker, K. F.. and Maggard, S. (2009). Making a Difference: The Impact of Traditional Male Role Models on Drug Sale Activity and Violence Involving Black Urban Youth. Journal of Drug Issues 39 (3) , pp. 715-739.
- Chappell, A. and Maggard, S. (2007). Applying Black's theory of law to crack and cocaine dispositions.. International journal of offender therapy and comparative criminology 51 (3) , pp. 264-78.
- Parker, K. F.. and Maggard, S. (2005). Structural Theories and Race-Specific Drug Arrests: What Structural Factors Account for the Rise in Race-Specific Drug Arrests Over Time?. Crime & Delinquency 51 (4) , pp. 521-547.