Computational Modeling and Simulation Engineering
- <b>Main areas of research </b>I have three main areas of research, and a number or recent interests, as follows.<br><b>Medical/Surgical simulation. </b>This entails research on both anatomical and therapy models, featuring innovations in medical image segmentation, surface and volume meshing, and ontological modeling.<br>Emphasis on <i>neurological </i>and <i>orthopedic surgery. </i>Objectives are a broadly usable interactive neurosurgery simulation for resident training and predictive orthopedic surgery simulation.<br><i>Anatomical modeling </i>involves minimally supervised <i>Segmentation </i>and <i>Meshing</i>, where segmentation emphasizes <i>digital atlases </i>and <i>deformable models</i>, both surface and contour-based. <br><i>Meshing </i>spans all types of discretization, which varies according to anatomy: volumetric structures benefit from minimally supervised, controlled-resolution <i>variational tetrahedral meshing</i>, while curviplanar structures exploit <i>discrete surface models </i>and curvilinear structures are identified/discretized by <i>discrete 3D contour models.</i><br><i>Therapy and functional models </i>address both predictive and interactive simulation, e.g.: haptics-driven meshless cutting and functional physiology models (pilot-centered flight simulation).<br><i>Musculoskeletal simulation </i>based on OpenSim and personalized anatomical models. Application to geriatric subject modeling (detection of impending fall). <i>Ontological modeling </i>centers on a high-level workflow representation of surgical procedures, particularly neurosurgery, organized according to canonical approaches: pterional, transnasal, etc. These ontological models have implications in terms what to simulate and represent in detail for surgical planning and navigation.<br>Also a nascent interest on bimanual glove haptics-driven obstetrics simulation. <br><b>Surgery planning. </b>Any anatomical modeling technique developed for simulation can also be applied to surgery planning for image-guided surgery (IGS). We strive for segmentation methods more descriptive than what is available currently, especially in commercial IGS products. This is particularly true of skull base anatomy: cranial nerves, brainstem, etc. <br><b>Medical device (e.g. surgical robotics) facilitation: </b>use of simulation and planning for medical devices. Geriatric airbag development for fall injury mitigation: both garment and smart room-based. Collaboration with EVMS Geriatrics and Gerontology (H. Okhravi MD), San Diego State University (C. Paolini PhD and M. Sarkar PhD) and Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts (A. Ilnicki MFA). MRI and ultrasound-guided navigation for surgical robotic assistant for minimally invasive breast tumor resection. Collaboration with surgeon Eric Feliberti MD FACS of Eastern Virginia Medical School Dept. of Surgery and Krishna Kaipa PhD of ODU Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
- Bui, H. P., Tomar, S., Courtecuisse, H., Audette, M., Cotin, S., and Bordas, S. P. (2018). Controlling the error on target motion through real‐time mesh adaptation: Applications to deep brain stimulation. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 0 (0), pp. e2958.
- Audette, M., Jovanovic, V., Bilgen, O., Arcaute, K., and Dean, A. W. (2017). Creating the fleet maker: 3D printing for the empowerment of sailors. Naval Engineers Journal, 129 (2), pp. 61-68.
- Rashid, T., Sultana, S., Fischer, G. S., and Audette, M. (2017). Deformable multi-material 2-simplex surface mesh for intraoperative MRI-ready surgery planning and simulation, with deep-brain stimulation applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science
- Brix, K. A., Brody, D. L., Grimes, J. B., Yitzhak, A., Agoston, D., Aldag, M., and Audette, M. (2017). Military blast exposure and chronic neurodegeneration: Summary of working groups and expert panel findings and recommendations. Journal of Neurotrauma, 34 (S1), pp. S18-S25.
- Sultana, S., Blatt, J. E., Gilles, B., Rashid, T., and Audette, M. (2017). MRI-Based Medial Axis Extraction and Boundary Segmentation of Cranial Nerves Through Discrete Deformable 3D Contour and Surface Models. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, 36 (8), pp. 1711-1721.
- Zhang, J. Z., Zhang, X. X., and Audette, M. (2011). A photothermal model of selective photothermolysis with dynamically changing vaporization temperature. Lasers in Medical Science, 26 (5), pp. 633-640.
- Descoteaux, M., Audette, M., Chinzei, K., and Siddiqi, K. (2008). Bone enhancement filtering: application to sinus bone segmentation and simulation of pituitary surgery. Journal of Computer Aided Surgery, 11 (5), pp. 247-255.
- Audette, M., Delingette, H., Fuchs, A., Astley, O., and Chinzei, K. (2007). A Topologically Faithful, Tissue-guided, Spatially Varying Meshing Strategy for Computing Patient-specific Head Models for Endoscopic Pituitary Surgery Simulation. Journal of Computer Aided Surgery, 12 (1), pp. 43-52.
- Audette, M., Siddiqi, K., Ferrie, F. P., and Peters, T. M. (2003). An Integrated Range-sensing, Segmentation and Registration Framework for the Characterization of Intra-surgical Brain Deformations in Image-Guided Surgery. Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Special issue on Nonrigid Registration,, 89 (2/3), pp. 226-251.
- Audette, M., Ferrie, F. P., and Peters, T. M. (2000). An Algorithmic Overview of Surface Registration Techniques for Medical Imaging. Medical Image Analysis, 4 (3), pp. 201-217.
- Audette, M., Chernikov, A., and Chrisochoides, N. (2012). A Review of Mesh Generation for Medical Simulators.Handbook of Real World Applications in Modeling and Simulation. Wiley.
- Audette, M., Miga, M. I., Nemes, J., Chinzei, K., and Peters, T. M. (2008). A Review Of Biomechanical Modeling of the Brain for Intrasurgical Displacement Estimation and Medical Simulation.Biomechanical Systems,. World Scientific Publishing.
- Audette, M., Hertel, I., Burgert, O., and Strauss, G. (2008). A Tissue Relevance and Meshing Method for Computing Patient-specific Anatomical Models in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Simulation.Advances in Computational Vision and Medical Image Processing: Methods and Applications,. Springer.
- Audette, M., Siddiqi, K., Ferrie, F. P., and Peters, T. M. (2005). Brain Shift Estimation for Image Guided Surgery Based on an Integrated Range sensing, Segmentation, and Registration Framework,.Medical Imaging Systems: Technology & Applications. World Scientific Publishing.
- Jovanovic, V., Bilgen, O., Arcaute, K., Audette, M., and Dean, A. W. (2017). Active duty training for support of navy's additive manufacturing strategy.. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition.
- Audette, M., Rashid, T., Ghosh, S., Patel, N., and Sultana, S. (2017). Towards an anatomical modeling pipeline for simulation and accurate navigation for brain and spine surgery.. Simulation Series.
- Audette, M. (January, 2006). Panel chair, Engineering Technologies in Simulation presented at International Conference on Medical Simulation San Diego California.
- Audette, M. (January, 2005). Towards Patient-Specific Finite Element-based Surgical Simulation: Research Issues Relating to Visual, Constitutive and Clinical Realism and A Review of Public Domain Software for Computing Patient-specific Anatomical Models presented at International Conference on Medical Simulation Miami.
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Audette, M.; Shen, Y.; Morrison, S. "Sensor and simulation-based fall injury mitigation for senior citizens" $150,000. Other. June 1, 2017 - May 31, 2020
- Audette, M.; Bawab, S.; Ringleb, S. I. "Scoliosis Surgery Planning Through Cadaveric Ligamento-Skeletal Tissue Mapping And Loading Studies, Multi-Surface Segmentation, And Finite Element Simulation of The Spine" $37,278. Other. August 1, 2016 - July 31, 2017
- Audette, M.; McKenzie, F. D. "CWIG Meeting Technology Enhancements And Preparations" $30,770. Commercial. February 1, 2016 - January 31, 2017
- Method and Apparatus for Correlating a Body with an Image of the Body
- Patent/Copyright: Patent
- Type: Regular
- Patent Nationality: Patent Cooperation Treaty
- Cooperation Treaty: Japan