Mr. Escobales began working at ODU as a Lecturer of Civil Engineering Technology (CET) in July of 2010 and is responsible for the preparation and delivery of structural design courses via traditional classroom instruction and/or distance learning.
Mr. Escobales became the Materials Testing Laboratory Director in January of 2011 and the CET Program Director (PD) in January of 2012. Mr. Escobales served as CET PD from Jan. 2012 to Dec. 2019 and as Materials Lab Director from Jan 2011 to Dec 2020. Prior to joining ODU, Mr. Escobales was engaged in the practice of structural engineering for 12 years.
During his tenure as a practicing engineer, Mr. Escobales worked in several aspects of the civil engineering profession as a structural engineer. The focus of Mr. Escobales’ career has been in the areas of analysis and design of building and non-building structures, estimating, collapse investigations, structural and welding inspections, modifications and repairs, and AISC Pre-engineered Metal Building (PEMB) certification auditing.
Mr. Escobales worked extensively analyzing and designing structures in occupancy categories I thru IV as defined by Table 1-1 of the ASCE 7 standard and possess a strong background in wind and earthquake engineering. In addition, Mr. Escobales specialized in the 3D computer analysis of complex structures using a large variety of commercial software such as MBS, RISA, Staad, RAM, CFS, Shape Builder, Maple, and Ansys. He is also proficient with documents required for the analysis and design of structures in the United States such as the AWS D1.1 and D1.3, ACI 318 and 530, AISI NASPEC, AISC 341 and 360, ASTM, NDS, AASHTO, IBC, and ASCE 7 among others.
Mr. Escobales is an advocate for professional licensure (FE/PE), certifications, and membership in professional societies. He is also a Professional Licensed Engineer (PE), and is a member of AISC, ACI, and NCEES organizations.
Mr. Escobales’ interests are in the areas of structural stability of steel tapered frames, 3D software modeling, pre-engineered metal buildings (PEMB), bridge analysis and design, and collapse/forensic investigations.
M.S. in Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, (1997)
B.S. in Civil Engineering, Polytechnic University of Puerto Rico, (1994)
- KS Professional Engineer, PE
- Sponsoring Organization: Kansas State Board of Technical Professions
- Date Obtained: 2002-06-01
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Seek, M. and Escobales, N. "2015 MBMA Capstone Design Fellowship" $10000. Private. August 25, 2015 - May 25, 2016
Structural stability analysis, 3D software modeling, pre-engineered metal buildings (PEMB), and collapse investigations.
- Escobales, N. and Verma, A. K. (2020). Session ETD Pedagogical Methods and Advances for Synchronous/Asynchronous Instruction of Laboratories in Engineering Technology Programs.
- Escobales, N. and Razzaq, Z. (2019). CFRP Retrofitting to Increase Lateral-Torsional Buckling Capacity of Steel I-Beams (pp. 2) ICCE-27, 27th Annual International Conference on Composites/Nano Engineering .
- Escobales, N. and Razzaq, Z. (2018). CFRP Retroffited Steel Tapered Column Buckling Paris, France: ICCE-26 Conference on Composites / Nano Engineering.
- Verma, A. K., Adams, S. Glenn., Lin, C., Escobales, N. and Flory Iv, I. L. (2017). Institutionalizing continuous improvement plan in an engineering technology department - closing the loop ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition.
- West, M. and Escobales, N. (April 2, 2009). Design of a Steel-Framed Office Building Other 2009 North American Steel Construction Conference (NASCC) Phoenix, AZ.
- 2020: University Distinguished Teacher, Old Dominion University
- 2019: 2019 BSET Outstanding Lecturer Award, Frank Batten College or Engineering & Technology
- 2019: Spring 2019 Diversity Champion Awards, Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
- 2019: 2019 Men's Basketball Game Day Professor, ODU Athletics Department
- 2019: 2018 ODU University Shinning Star Award, Dean of Students and Student Body President
- 2018: 2018 College's Faculty Excellence Award: Teaching, Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology
- 2015: Shining Star Recognition - Fall 2015, Division of Student Engagement and Enrollment Services
- 2015: Shining Star Recognition - Spring 2015, Division of Student Engagement and Enrollment Services
- 1994: UIUC Graduate College Fellowship, UIUC Graduate College
- 1992: Athletic Scholarship, PR Department of Sports & Recreation
- 1988: Member of the Puerto Rico National Volleyball Team,
- 1985: Member of "Gigantes de Adjuntas" Volleyball Team in Puerto Rico,