Melani Loney holds BS degrees in Biology and Education and a MS degree in Secondary Education from Old Dominion University. In addition, Ms. Loney holds an EdS from the University of Virginia in K-12 Administration and a Graduate Certificate in Integrative STEM Education from Virginia Tech. Ms. Loney’s work experience includes thirteen years as a science teacher and eleven years as a Secondary Science Coordinator at Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Ms. Loney’s areas of expertise include science education, Integrative STEM education, teacher professional development, curriculum design, assessment design, Argument Driven Inquiry, problem-based learning, project-based learning, and lab safety.
Ed.S. in Administration and Supervision, University of Virginia, (2006)
- Post Graduate Professional License
- Sponsoring Organization: Virginia Department of Education
- Date Obtained: 2015-05-01
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Loney, M. A. and Webster, H. "Technical Support York County School Division STEM" $120,000. Local. October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2022
- Garner, J. K., Loney, M. A. and Chappell Moots, S. "Improving High School STEM Education in Physics " $749,994. Federal. May 16, 2018 - July 31, 2021
- Loney, M. A. "Learning Inquiry Chesapeake Bay Enhancing Nature in Science Education" $4,912. State. May 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019
- Garner, J. K. and Loney, M. A. "Building Bridges across the Elementary Curriculum" $282,375. State. March 1, 2015 - September 30, 2018
- Loney, M. A., Garner, J. K. and Perry, T. "Knowledge Through Experience For Youth In Science Keys" $391,612. Higher Education. March 1, 2015 - September 30, 2018
- Loney, M. A. "Computational Thinking in the Middle School Classrom" $12,832. State. August 21, 2017 - April 30, 2018
- Loney, M. A. "Argument Driven Inquiry Professional Development" $14,000. Local. February 1, 2017 - June 22, 2017
- Loney, M. A. "SAIL: Scientific Argumentation and Inquiry for Learning" $6,000. Local. October 1, 2015 - August 15, 2016
- Garner, J. K., Loney, M. A. and Sampson, V. (2018). Teaching science through argumentation: an outline for Virginia science teachers. Journal of Virginia Science Education 11 (1) , pp. 3-25.
- Garner, J. K. and Loney, M. A. (2016). Integrating federal, state, and local mandates for the benefit of teachers’ professional learning.. Virginia Mathematics Teacher 43 (1) , pp. 53-57.
- Grant, L., Garner, J. K. and Loney, M. A. (2012). Measuring student growth in the secondary sciences. Consortium for Research on Educational Accountability and Teacher Evaluation 16 (1) , pp. 11.
- 2019: Programs the Work, Virginia Math and Science Coalition