Dr. Howard Goodwin is the Director of Technology & Simulation for the College of Health Sciences at Old Dominion University. He earned a BA in Psychology from Virginia Wesleyan College, Diploma in Registered Nursing from Sentara School of Health Professions, BSN and MSN – Nurse Anesthesia from Old Dominion University, and DNAP from Virginia Commonwealth University’s Medical College of Virginia. Dr. Goodwin carries dual certifications in Nurse Anesthesiology and Healthcare Simulation Education. He is a leader in his state and national professional associations. Additionally, he is a recognized lecturer nationally on the subjects of nurse anesthesiology practice and leadership. His current research efforts focus on healthcare simulation education and healthcare entrepreneurship.
Other in Nurse Anesthesia Practice, Virginia Commonwealth University, (2014)
M.S.N. in Nurse Anesthesia, Old Dominion University, (2008)
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
- Sponsoring Organization: NBCRNA
- Date Obtained: 2009-01-01
- Registered Nurse (RN)
- Sponsoring Organization: Virginia Board of Nursing
- Date Obtained: 2004-06-01
- Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator
- Sponsoring Organization: The Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- Date Obtained: 2019-04-02
Human Simulation, Anesthesia Crisis Resource Management, & Healthcare Entrepreneurship.
- ( 2020). The Business of Ketamine: Innovative Therapies & Proven Success Lecture Annual Meeting West Virginia - Virtual.
- ( 2020). Ultrasound Guided Vascular Access Lecture & Workshop Lecture Fall Meeting Norfolk, VA.
- ( 2020). The Path to Full Practice Authority Starts with Prescriptive Authority: The VANA Model Lecture Leadership Summit Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- ( 2019). Anesthesia Crisis Resource Management Lecture Fall Meeting Norfolk, VA.
- ( 2019). The Entrepreneurial Anesthetist Lecture Winter Workshop Richmond, VA.
- ( 2018). Managing the Unexpected: Malignant Hyperthermia in Obstetrics Lecture Annual Congress Boston, MA.
- ( 2018). Managing the Unexpected: Difficult Airway Management Other Annual Fall Conference Richmond, VA.
- ( 2018). Epidural and Spinal Anesthesia Workshop Other Annual Fall Meeting Norfolk, VA.
- Goodwin, H. ( 2018). Enhanced Recovery After Surgery: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Patient Care. Lecture District 1 Meeting Virginia Beach, VA.
- Goodwin, H. O. (October 7, 2017). Peripheral Nerve Blocks for Post-operative Pain Management Oral Presentation Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists - Fall Conference Richmond, VA.
- Goodwin, H. O. (October 7, 2017). Anesthesia in a Rural Practice Oral Presentation Virginia Assoication of Nurse Anesthetists - Fall Conference Richmond, VA.
- Goodwin, H. O. (October 6, 2017). Local Anesthetic Considerations for Peripheral Nerve Blocks Oral Presentation Virginia Association of Nurse Anesthetists - Fall Conference Richmond, VA.
- Goodwin, H. O. (April 23, 2016). Anesthesia Crisis Resource Managment Lecture VANA - District 1 meeting Virginia Beach Higher Education Center.
- Goodwin, H. O. (September 27, 2015). Malignant Hyperthermia in Obstetrics Lecture 2015 Mid-Atlantic Anesthesia Conference McLean, Virginia.
- Goodwin, H. O. (November , 2013). Virginia CRNA Workforce Study Paper VCU.
- 2014: A. D. Williams Scholarly Achievement Award, Virginia Commonwealth University