Dr. Diana Cartagena is a native of Colombia, S. A. and doctoral graduate of Virginia Commonwealth University School of Nursing. She presently maintains a clinical practice as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner in a general pediatric office affiliated with the Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Ph.D. in Nursing, Virginia Commonwealth University, (2014)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Parker, L. A. and Cartagena, D. "Diversity Supplement" $394,202. Federal. -
Dr. Cartagena is most passionate about promoting children’s healthy growth and development. One of her research interests is in the area of obesity prevention among underserved populations especially Hispanic infants and children. Her research is directed toward understanding the factors that contribute to infant overfeeding practices in Hispanic mothers.
- Le-Jenkins, U., Cartagena, D., Renaud, M. and Gustin, T. (2020). Effectiveness of a Primary Care-Based Pediatric Weight Management Program. JOURNAL OF DOCTORAL NURSING PRACTICE 13 (1) , pp. 9-16.
- Cartagena, D., Matsuda, Y. and McGrath, J. M.. (2020). Recruitment of Immigrant Hispanic Mothers in Research: An Application of the EERC Guidelines. JOURNAL OF TRANSCULTURAL NURSING 31 (1) , pp. 45-50.
- Linares, A. Maria., Cartagena, D. and Rayens, M. Kay. (2019). Las Dos Cosas Versus Exclusive Breastfeeding: A Culturally and Linguistically Exploratory Intervention Study in Hispanic Mothers Living in Kentucky. JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC HEALTH CARE 33 (6) , pp. E46-E56.
- Cartagena, D., McGrath, J. M. and Linares, A. Maria. (2018). Associations between Introduction of Age-Inappropriate Foods and Early Eating Environments in Low-Socioeconomic Hispanic Infants. Journal of Pediatric Health Care 32 (2) , pp. e27--e36.
- Cartagena, D., McGrath, J. M. and Masho, S. W. (2016). Differences in modifiable feeding factors by overweight status in Latino infants. Applied Nursing Research 30 , pp. 210–215.
- Cartagena, D., Ameringer, S. W., McGrath, J. M., Masho, S. W., Jallo, N. and Myers, B. J. (2015). Factors contributing to infant overfeeding in low-income immigrant Latina mothers. Applied Nursing Research 28 (4) , pp. 316–321.
- Cartagena, D., Ameringer, S. W., McGrath, J., Jallo, N., Masho, S. W. and Myers, B. J. (2014). Factors contributing to infant overfeeding with Hispanic mothers. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing 43 (2) , pp. 139–159.
- Cartagena, D., Noorthoek, A., Wagner, S. and McGrath, J. M. (2012). Family-Centered Care and Nursing Research. Newborn and Infant Nursing Reviews 12 (3) , pp. 118–119.
- Cartagena, D. (March 15, 2016). Differences in modifiable feeding factors by overweight status in Latino infants. Poster 37th National Conference on Pediatric Health Care Atlanta, GA.
- Cartagena, D. (February 24, 2016). Differences in modifiable feeding factors by overweight status in Latino infants. Oral Presentation A Solid Legacy, a Bright Tomorrow: 30th Annual Conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society Williamsburg, VA.
- Cartagena, D. (June 10, 2015). Differences in Modifiable Feeding Factors by Overweight Status in Latino Infants Oral Presentation 37th AWHONN Annual Convention Long Beach, CA..