Ph.D. in English, University of South Florida, (2013)
M.A. in English, University of Windsor, (2009)
B.A. in English, University of Windsor, (2007)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Nunnery, J. A., Allen, T., Whytlaw, J., Richards, D. P.. and Mcleod, G. "Virginia Wind Energy Siting Solution" $775,000. Federal. August 1, 2020 - December 31, 2021
- Richards, D. and Knowles, T. "User Experience, Residents, and Risk: Effectively (Re)Designing a Flood Rate Calculator" $6,700. Old Dominion University. July 1, 2019 - April 30, 2020
- Richards, D. P. . "Increasing Engagement in Online Writing Instruction: Developing Video Lectures for Technical Writing" $4,000. Old Dominion University. July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019
- Richards, D. P. . "Flood Insurance Calculator and Website" $26,000. State. July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2019
- Richards, D. P. . "Story Mapping and Sea Level Rise: Bringing a Global Risk Home" $1,500. Higher Education. January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018
- Richards, D., Schwartz, K., Hester, P. T., Kumar, S. and Higgins, K. "Improving Disciplinary Writing Action Project Grant" $19,987. 2017 - 2018
- Richards, D., Jovanovic, V., Pazos-Lago, M., Popescu, O. and Arcaute, K. "Improving Disciplinary Writing Action Project Grant" $20,000. 2017 - 2018
- Richards, D. and Romberger-Depew, J. E. "Faculty Innovator Grant" $3,000. 2014 - 2015
- Richards, D. and McKittrick, M. "Improving Disciplinary Writing Action Project Grant" $19,987. 2014 - 2015
- Richards, D. and McKittrick, M. "Service-Learning Instructional Mini-Grant Award" $1,000. 2014 - 2015
- Richards, D. "Faculty Research Grant" $6,000. 2014 - 2014
- Richards, D. "Joseph-Armand Bombardier Canada Graduate Scholarships Program" $17,500. 2008 - 2008
- Richards, D. and Stephens, S. H.. (2022). Do voices really make a difference? Investigating the value of local video narratives in risk perceptions and attitudes towards sea-level rise. Technical Communication 69 (4) , pp. 79–96.
- Richards, D. and Jacobson, E. E. . (2022). How Real Is Too Real? User-Testing the Effects of Realism as a Risk Communication Strategy in Sea Level Rise Visualizations. Technical Communication Quarterly 31 (2) , pp. 190–206.
- Amidon, T., Nielsen, A. C. ., Pflugfelder, E., Richards, D. P.. and Stephens, S. (2021). Visual risk literacy in “Flatten the Curve” COVID-19 visualizations. Journal of Business and Technical Communication 35 (1) , pp. 101–109.
- Richards, D. P.. and Stephens, S. (2020). Story mapping and sea level rise: Listening to global risks at street level. Communication Design Quarterly 8 (1) , pp. 5–18.
- Richards, D. P.. and Phelps, L. W. (2020). On Ideological Transparency. Pedagogy 20 (1) , pp. 3-12.
- Richards, D. P.. (2019). John Dewey, nonhuman agency, and the possibility of a posthuman public. Contemporary Pragmatism 16 (4) , pp. 366–395.
- Richards, D. P.. (2019). An ethic of constraint: Citizens, sea-level rise viewers, and the limits of agency. Journal of Business and Technical Communication 33 (3) , pp. 292–337.
- Richards, D. P. . (2018). Not a cape, but a life preserver: The importance of designer localization in interactive sea level rise viewers. Communication Design Quarterly 6 (2) , pp. 57-69.
- Richards, D. (2017). Dwelling in the Ruins of Metaphor—with Students. Composition Forum: A Journal of Pedagogical Theory in Rhetoric and Composition (37).
- Beale, M. C., McKittrick, M. and Richards, D. (2016). ‘Good’ Grief: Praxis, Subversion, and the Ethics of Griefing Guides. Technical Communication Quarterly 25 (3) , pp. 191-201.
- Richards, D. (2015). Testing the Waters: Local Users, Sea Level Rise, and the Productive Usability of Interactive Geovisualizations. Communication Design Quarterly 3 (3) , pp. 25-29.
- Richards, D. (2011). Digitizing Dewey: Blogging an Ethic of Community. Computers and Composition Online.
- Richards, D. P.. (2020). On Teacher Neutrality: Politics, Praxis, and Performativity. Utah State University Press.
- Moore, K. R. and Richards, D. P. (2018). Posthuman Praxis in Technical Communication.
- Yusuf, J., Nicula, J., Richards, D., Agim, O., Covi, M. and Anuar, K. (2021). Engaging residents in policy and planning for sea level rise: Application of the Action-oriented Stakeholder Engagement for a Resilient Tomorrow (ASERT) framework Communicating climate change: Making environmental messaging accessible (pp. 36-57) New York, NY: Routledge.
- Richards, D. P.. (2019). Emergent publics, public emergencies: The importance of John Dewey in Jane Bennett’s nonhuman politics of vital materialism Recovering overlooked pragmatists in communication: Extending the living conversation about pragmatism and rhetoric (pp. 197–222) Palgrave Macmillan.
- Richards, D. (2017). Reconstituting Causality: Accident Reports as Posthuman Documentation Hot Topics: Common Topics of Environmental Rhetoric Routledge Studies in Technical Communication, Rhetoric, and Culture.
- Richards, D. (2015). The (Re)Naturalization of Margaret Cavendish: Making Active the Relationship between Nature and Female Subjectivity in "Blazing World" Spectacle, Sex, and Property in Eighteenth-Century Literature and Culture New York: AMS Press, Inc.
- Richards, D., Whytlaw, J., Allen, T., Miles, J. J.., Mcleod, G. and Cronin, J. J. A. . (2021). User experience design as a framework for political negotiation in environmental decision making about wind energy The 39th ACM International Conference on Design of Communication (SIGDOC ’21) (pp. 231–239) New York, NY: ACM SIGDOC.
- Richards, D. P. . (2020). Facilitating flood fluency: The design and utility of a flood risk calculator based on FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program Proceedings of the 38th ACM International Conference on Design of Communication ACM SIGDOC.
- Richards, D., Jovanovic, V., Popescu, O., McKittrick, M., Tombolato-Terzic, D., Pazos-Lago, M. and Romberger-Depew, J. E. (2017). Developing a Faculty Learning Community to Support Writing Across Different STEM DisciplinesThe Challenges of Exploring Local Place as a Context of Use in the Study of Interactive Risk Visualizations Proceedings of 124th American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference & Exposition Columbus, OH:.
- Richards, D. (2017). The Challenges of Exploring Local Place as a Context of Use in the Study of Interactive Risk Visualizations SIGDOC ’17: The 35th ACM International Conference on the Design of Communication Proceedings New York: ACM.
- Richards, D. P. . (2017). The challenges of exploring local place as a context of use in the study of interactive risk visualizations Proceedings of the 35th ACM International Conference on Design of Communication (pp. 1-7) ACM SIGDOC.
- Richards, D. (2016). Helping Local Residents Make Informed Decisions with Interactive Risk Visualization Tools SIGDOC ’16: The 34th ACM International Conference on the Design of Communication Proceedings New York: ACM.
- Richards, D., Jovanovic, V., McKittrick, M., Pazos-Lago, M. and Romberger, J. (2015). Comparatively Mapping Genres in Academic and Workplace Engineering Environments Proceedings of 122nd American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Annual Conference & Exposition Seattle, WA:.
- 2021: Research Mentor Award (Fall 2021), Granted by The Patricia and Douglas Perry Honors College, Old Dominion University. Awarded $500 to lead independent study with senior honors college student. Awarded $200 for materials.
- 2020: University Doctoral Mentoring Award for the College of Arts & Letters, The Graduate School at Old Dominion University
- 2017: Teaching with Technology Award, University Outstanding Faculty Awards Committee, in association with the Office of Distance Learning and ITS
- 2016: Shining Star Award for Outstanding Teaching, Student Engagement and Enrollment Services, Old Dominion University
- 2014: Honourable Mention, Best Dissertation in Rhetoric, Writing Studies, or Discourse Studies Category, Canadian Association for the Study of Discourse and Writing (CASDW)
- 2013: Dorothy Newman Linton Award for Academic Promise, Department of English at the University of South Florida
- 2013: Provost’s Award for Outstanding Teaching by a Graduate Teaching Assistant, Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence at the University of South Florida
- 2012: Alma Bryant Award for Outstanding Graduate Student, Department of English at the University of South Florida