Doctor of Philosophy in Education-Counseling Concentration
The Ph.D. in Education with a concentration in Counseling is intended to prepare individuals for employment as counselor educators in college and universities, clinicians in private practice and mental health agencies, and counseling leadership positions in schools. This program provides doctoral students with the skills to conduct scholarly research, lead organizations, and create new knowledge.
The Ph.D. program in Counseling is designed so that students may either study full-time or part-time. Students who study full-time often are awarded assistantships which include tuition waivers. Students who study part-time are eligible for student loans. Full-time doctoral students usually complete their degree programs in three years. Part-time doctoral students usually take four years to complete their degree programs.
Students who are admitted to the Ph.D. program in Counseling must have a master's degree from a program accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Program (CACREP) or the equivalent. Admitted individuals who do not have a CACREP-accredited master's degree in counseling must complete any missing doctoral programs listed below as a part of their Ph.D. program.
For students enrolling in 2022 Practicum & Internship courses:
- Applications for Spring & Summer 2022 enrollment are due August 1, 2021
- Applications for Fall 2022 enrollment is due February 1, 2022
Applications of Intent to Enroll in Practicum & Internship:
- Application of Intent to Enroll in PhD Practicum (COUN 869)
- Application of Intent to Enroll in PhD Internship (COUN 868)
Practicum & Internship Forms:
Tape Review Forms:
- Consent to Record Form - Mental Health Counseling
- Consent to Record Form - School Counseling
- COUN 869 Verbatim Transcription Form
- COUN 868-869 Guidelines for Case Presentations
Example Evaluations for Individual/Triadic Supervision of 669 Students:
- Midterm Progress Report (for midterm evaluation)
- Individual/Triadic Supervisor Evaluation of Practicum Student (for final evaluation)