What is SAFE RIDE?
SAFE RIDE is ODU's on-demand evening van service providing free rides to all Monarchs after dark. With SAFE RIDE, students, faculty, or staff can ride to a nearby residence instead of walking home alone. Riders must use the TransLoc app to request a ride and present a valid ODU ID upon pickup.
Hours of Operation
EVERY DAY, AUGUST-MAY - SAFE RIDE does not operate during the Summer months or most academic breaks. Service may be suspended during inclement weather.
38th Street to Magnolia Avenue & Elizabeth River to Colley Avenue.
View Map ►
COVID-19 Update to Service
Traveling with more than one person? Each person in your group must request a ride individually. Due to space constraints on the SAFE RIDE vans caused by COVID-19, we cannot guarantee that members of a group will be on the same van.
First, download the FREE TransLoc App to your device (Apple or Android). The first time you use the app, TransLoc will ask you for some basic information. After your first ride, TransLoc will recognize your phone.
Please note you must have an ODU Midas account to use our transportation services.
1. Request a Ride
Use the TransLoc app to request a ride and choose your pickup location.
Once your request is processed, you will receive confirmation, and can track your driver's ETA in the app.
3. Driver Arrival
You will receive notification when the driver arrives. You have 2 minutes to meet your driver before they depart for other pickups.
- A valid ODU ID Card must be presented upon boarding.
- No smoking onboard.
- No drinking or eating allowed.
- No belligerent or unsafe behavior.
- No luggage, bicycles or possessions too large to fit in a rider's lap are allowed onboard.
- No animals (except service animals) are allowed onboard.
- Due to Covid-19, face masks are required while on the van.
SAFE RIDE is not a flag down taxi service, and provides rides by request only. Anyone approaching the vehicle during service hours will be directed to submit a request through the TapRide App. See 'How to Request a Ride' above for more info.
- Requestors must present their ID cards to the driver upon entrance to the vehicle.
- Passenger doors do not unlock until the driver puts the vehicle in park.
- Vehicles are lit internally when the passenger doors are open.
- Video and audio recording devices are present in the vehicles for passenger and driver safety.
SAFE RIDE drivers will wait for 2 minutes at the pick-up location. If the requestor is not answering the alerts sent to their phone, or has found another means of transport, the driver will mark the request "No Show" in order to reach their next request in a timely manner.
SAFE RIDE has wheelchair accessible vehicles. In the meantime, requests requiring wheelchair accessibility may be submitted via the TapRide App.
Lose something? Contact Transportation and Parking Services at 757-683-4358 or email email@example.com.