Patient safety is paramount. Medication administration provides numerous opportunities for errors. According to To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System, medication errors account for more than 7,000 deaths annually. Reducing medication errors and improving communication with patients is a critical.
Upon completion of this instruction, students should be able to:
- Describe the safety principles of medication administration
- List the safety steps of medication administration
- Demonstrate the proper sequence for administering medication
This simulation provides students:
- A video-based lecture on the proper steps in medication administration
- A video demonstration of the proper steps
- A simulation environment -- or gaming portion of the assignment -- to practice these steps and test skills.
Having issues accessing the assignment or the gaming portion of the assignment? Please contact one of the simulation faculty or your course coordinator.
When utilizing this resource, please acknowledge the developers.
Suggested Citation: Figgs, D., Greenwood, D., Hawkins, J., Norris, D., Thompson, B., Tremblay, B., Wiles, L., & Williamson, B. (2020). Safe Medication Administration Virtual Learning Environment. Old Dominion University. Retrieved from Old Dominion University's Undergraduate Nursing.