[ skip to content ]

Toggle Mobile Menu

Office of Student Financial AidGrants

Federal Grants

The federal government provides grants for students attending college or career school. Most types of grants, unlike loans, are sources of free money that generally do not have to be repaid.

  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant: a grant awarded to students whose parent or guardians died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the 9/11 events but are not eligible for a PELL grant based on EFC.
  • TEACH Grant: Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. Students attending Old Dominion University and are interested in this grant must contact the Office of Teacher Education Services & Advising.

    State Grants

    • Commonwealth Grant: Need-base grant awarded to Undergraduate Virginia residents or for grants or assistantships to graduate students (both in-state and out-of-state).
    • Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP): Need-base grant award to students who attended a Virginia Elementary and Secondary institution.
    • Virginia Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program: Need-based grant for transfer students who have earned an Associate's Degree at a Virginia two-year institution and transfer to a participating Virginia four-year institution. To be eligible, the student must:
      • Be first-time freshman no earlier than fall 2007
      • Be an undergraduate in-state student
      • Have applied for financial aid at ODU

      Institutional Grants

      • ROAR: Institutional need-base grant awarded to In & Out-of-State students meeting the Financial Aid consideration date. Students who are awarded this grant must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online form. A student's award amount may vary per a student Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number which is determined by the Department of Education federal methodology calculation.


      • Some types of grants will reduce VA tuition payments.
      • Financial aid awards do not automatically transfer from one institution to another, even in the middle of an academic year.