Dropping a Class

Will it affect my Financial Aid if I drop a class?

The answer to this question depends on several variables. If you fully withdraw, then your aid is subject to Return of Title IV aid regulations. To determine the answer for your specific circumstance, ask yourself the questions below:

  • Was my financial aid based on full-time enrollment, and after I drop the class(es), will I still be considered full-time? If yes, no impact on aid.
    • If, for example, an undergraduate whose financial aid was based on full-time enrollment was taking 17 hours and dropped a three-hour class, s/he would still be considered full-time (12 hrs minimum for full-time status) and aid would not be affected.
    • NOTE: If you requested and were granted increased aid through a Professional Judgment evaluated by your financial aid counselor, and an adjustment was made due to additional credit hours, then you will need to inform your counselor of the dropped course(s) immediately.
  • Did I drop after the last day to receive a refund? Will I still be financially responsible for the class? If yes, current aid may be affected, and academic progress standing may be affected for future semesters (see below).
  • Am I going to file a "tuition appeal," to request a refund for the class even though I dropped it after the refund period, based on exceptional circumstances? If yes, aid will be affected and may result in repayment of funds.
  • Did I drop before the last day to receive a refund? Will the drop result in a change in my enrollment status? (Does the drop move my total enrollment to less than half-time? Does the drop change my total enrollment from full-time to less than full-time, or from 3/4 time to less than 3/4 time?) If yes to any of these questions, aid will be affected and may result in repayment of funds.

Return of Title IV Funds

If you fully withdraw from a class, your aid is subject to Return of Title IV aid regulations. See these policies for more information:

How will it affect my "Satisfactory Academic Progress" standing?

In order to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress (SAP), a full-time undergraduate student is required to complete 67% of the total credit hours attempted. If you drop below these completion standards, then you will not make "Satisfactory Academic Progress" (you are not progressing toward your degree quickly enough, and you are not completing as many hours as expected).

When the annual academic progress review is conducted at the end of the spring semester, you will receive notice of this problem from the financial aid office, and you will be required to submit written documentation explaining the reasons you did not complete as many hours as needed. This written documentation will be reviewed by your financial aid counselor who, along with a committee, will determine whether to reinstate your aid on a probationary basis.

Withdrawing from all courses for two consecutive semesters may result in loss of financial aid eligibility.

Always consult your financial aid counselor before reducing your enrollment.

PACE Calculator

Cumulative Credits Attempted:

Cumulative Credits Completed:

Percentage: 0.00%

# of Courses needed (3 credits each):

Semester credits needed: