Outdoor Events & Permits

Follow this process to request outdoor event support:

  • Plan the event in a timely manner to ensure it can be properly supported, required staff scheduled, and permits, if necessary, can be obtained.
  • Events that will have tents, stages, or inflatables/amusements must have ALL documentation submitted at least 11 business days prior to the event date.
  • Incomplete and/or late event requests will be rejected.
  • Once a suitable date is set, go to STEP 2, below.

NOTE: Information on All tents, stages, and inflatables/amusements must be submitted, per the instructions below. Even though not all tents, stages and inflatables/amusements need a permit - Facilities Management must determine if any underground utilities (gas and electricity lines for example) might be impacted by an event.

First, reserve your space on campus with the appropriate department, depending on the location of the event.

If your event does not have a tent, stage/riser, and/or inflatable/amusement go on to Step 4, otherwise:

If there will be a tent, stage/riser, and/or inflatable/amusement involved in event, then open appropriate form(s) below - all that apply to your event - and work with your vendor(s) (the fields shaded in blue) to complete ALL FIELDS MUST BE COMPLETED:

Tent Form

Stage Form (If using an ODU stage/riser and ramp - only the site and stage layouts are needed. If using a third-party vendor - all required documentation must be submitted.)

Inflatables and Amusements Form

Requirements for the Certificate of Insurance (COI) form can be found here.

Second - For events with tents/stages/amusements - Once you have completed all the fields on the required form(s) AND only once you have ALL the required documentation, as noted on the above form(s)... fill out and submit Kuali Outdoor Event Form below, item 4), below.

Certificate of Insurance (COI)

The University requires a Certificate of Insurance (COI) form and Endorsement form:

  1. a. The insurer must directly email the COI and Endorsement forms to risk@odu.edu and CC: rlemoal@odu.edu, and the event organizer
    b. The insurer must include the name and the date(s) of the event in the Subject line of the email

Certificate of Insurance (COI) Form requirements:

  • COI minimums are:

    • General Liability - $1,000,000
    • Automobile Liability - $1,000,000-ONLY required if students, staff and/or faculty will be riding in vehicle or if ODU property will be transported by vendor.
    • Workers Comp, Employer's liability - $500,000, $500,000, $500,000
    • Umbrella Liability - ONLY in the case of larger, motorized items, such as a Ferris Wheel or a merry-go-round - $3,000,000 - $5,000,000 ($5M preferred)

See example of a correct COI form

Endorsement Form requirements:

  • The endorsement form should be filled out as:

    • Name field: Old Dominion University and the Commonwealth of Virginia
    • Location field: Rollins Hall, 5215 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23508

See example of a correct Endorsement Form

Fill out fields, and attach any required documents before submitting the Outdoor Support Form.

Tent, Stage & Amusement Device Permits

Any group or organization seeking to use tents, stages and/or amusement devices (inflatables, rides, etc.) on campus must request a permit. This ensures that all Commonwealth requirements and University policies are met, and that the University's infrastructure is protected.

Permit Requirements

Virginia state law requires that permit requirements be met prior to rental. The main requirements are:

  • CO 17-TMP Permit from the Bureau of Capital Outlay Management (BCOM)
  • Tent Inspections - by State Fire Marshall or designee (Risk Management)
  • Amusement Device Inspection - by Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) inspector