The Frank Batten College of Engineering and Technology (BCET) at Old Dominion University (ODU) is currently hiring several instrumental, tenure eligible faculty positions. Successful candidates will be forward-focused innovative leaders committed to the College's strategic mission of academic excellence and experiential learning. Candidates are expected to perform teaching, research, and service, and must demonstrate an unwavering commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). We are inviting applications for the following positions, starting in Fall 2024.
Open Faculty Positions:
- Associate/Full Professor and Inaugural Director of the Institute of Autonomous and Connected Systems (IACS): IACS brings together faculty and students across the Colleges of Engineering and Technology, Arts & Letters, and Sciences who have the mutual interest in advancing the interdisciplinary research and development of autonomous and connected systems including uncrewed and autonomous vehicles in air, land, space, and maritime applications. We seek an experienced, accomplished, and visionary leader to serve as the inaugural Director of this newly established institute.
- Associate/Full Professor and Inaugural Director of the Institute of Engineering in Medicine, Health, and Human Performance (EnMed): EnMed brings together faculty and students across the College who have mutual interests in the application of engineering concepts and tools to positively impact patient outcomes. We seek an experienced, accomplished, and visionary leader to serve as the inaugural director of this newly established institute.
- Assistant Professor in Mission Engineering: We seek candidates with a track record in the broad research area of Mission Engineering (ME) and its applications to domains requiring advanced engineering solutions to solve increasingly complex problems at the interface of technology and society. Such problems arise in research areas such as emergency response and management, disaster relief, community resilience, and hazard mitigation in transportation systems, healthcare, critical infrastructures, and others.
- Assistant Professor of Autonomous & Connected Systems: We seek candidates with a strong background and interest in the broad domain of autonomous and connected systems in air, land, space, marine, and/or maritime applications, including but not limited to those associated with uncrewed drones and robots, autonomous vehicles, vehicle-to-anything (V2X) technologies, and intelligent infrastructure.
- Open Rank Engineering Faculty in Cybersecurity: We seek exceptional candidates with strong research track in Cybersecurity. The appointment will be in one of the five BCET departments depending on the selected candidate’s background and expertise. This position will build, direct, and run multidisciplinary research teams in BCET in collaboration with the School of Cybersecurity and develop and deliver undergraduate and graduate courses iin the home BCET department and in collaboration with the School of Cybersecurity.
- Assistant Professor of Structural Engineering: We seek candidates with expertise in structural engineering, with a focus in: sustainable and resilient infrastructure systems; community resiliency to climate change and hazardous environments, particularly in coastal areas subjected to sea level rise and risk of flooding; Smart materials and infrastructure systems; uncertainty and reliability analysis; Performance-based design; structural health monitoring; applications of advanced computational methods and emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and revolutionary concepts like digital twin technologies in modeling, simulation, and design of infrastructure components; and complex interactions between urban systems and human behavior.
- Professor and Chair of the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering: We invite applications from experienced, accomplished, and visionary individuals to serve as Chair of the Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE). The Chair is expected to provide leadership in departmental education, research, and outreach activities in alignment with the strategic plan of the College and the University.
- Assistant Professor in Manufacturing Engineering Technology: We seek candidates with a strong background and interest in the broad domain of engineering technologies with emphasis on advanced manufacturing systems and related emerging research priority areas that address challenges and leverage opportunities outlined in the ODU’s strategic plan.
- Assistant Professor in Manufacturing Engineering Technology: We seek candidates with a strong background and interest in the broad domain of engineering technologies with emphasis on advanced manufacturing systems and related emerging research priority areas that address challenges and leverage opportunities outlined in the ODU's strategic plan.
Faculty positions that will be posted soon include:
- Assistant Professor in Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Lecturer in Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Lecturer and Director of Monarch Accelerated Program to Engineering, Engineering Fundamental Division
How to Apply:
Complete the online application for the position at its corresponding webpage, including: a cover letter describing your qualifications for the position and interest in a tenured appointment, if applicable; a CV; unofficial graduate transcripts; and e-mail addresses for three professional references.
About The Frank Batten College of Engineering & Technology
The Batten College is one of seven colleges at the University, and includes 107 tenured/tenure-track faculty, 2,500 full-time undergraduates, and 750 graduate students. The College is made up of five departments: Civil and Environmental Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Engineering Technology, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, and Engineering Management and Systems Engineering.
The Batten College's diverse student population includes a 40% minority population and 15% military/veteran student population — the highest in Virginia. Over 44% of the College's freshmen are first-generation students. Our faculty members are highly active in research, publications and public service. From advanced manufacturing to battling cancer; transportation to cybersecurity; renewable energy to marine engineering; plasmas to nanomaterials, artificial intelligence to robotics, the Batten College provides a significant share of the research and development within the University through research centers, laboratories, institutes, and clusters, while greatly contributing to the regional, national, and international prosperity of humanity.
Job postings for the College of Engineering and ODU can be also found at Careers @ ODU.