I am a second career educator. My undergraduate degrees are in mathematics (Magna Cum Laude) and electrical engineering. I started my career as an Electrical Engineer developing signal-processing microcode and was recognized for developing a 100 MHz processor in the mid-1980’s, ground breaking work for the time. My final position in the private sector was as a program manager directing the development of network-based software. After almost two decades working in the private sector with companies including IBM, Microsoft, and CompuServe, I transitioned in 1998 to the public sector for the purpose of improving K-12 mathematics learning and teaching for underserved students in urban environments. I was a teacher, consultant, and leader in educational venues including: an urban high school, a state department of education, a non-profit organization, and now at Old Dominion University. Highlights of my public sector experiences include: a) practiced as a high school (grades 9-12) mathematics teacher and department chair; b) developed PreK-12 mathematics standards as a state department of education administrator; c) managed and supported a large geographic region of mathematics coaches; d) developed and supported (grades PreK-8) mathematics specialists; and d) co-designed and implemented (PreK-8) Mathematics Specialist Programs in OH and VA.
Ph.D. in Mathematics Education, The Ohio State University, (2009)
M.S.Ed. in Mathematics Education, The Ohio State University, (1998)
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland - College Park, (1984)
B.S. in Mathematics, Coppin State University, (1983)
- AYA Mathematics Teaching License
- Sponsoring Organization: State of Ohio
- Date Obtained: 2010-07-01
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Grant, M. R., Whittecar, R. G., Diawara, N. and Enderson, M. "Building Capacity towards Certification of Middle Grades STEM Teachers through Partnership, Needs Assessment, and Curriculum Revision" $75,000. Federal. March 2019 - February 2021
- He, W., Xin, C., Wittkower, D., Dice, T. and Grant, M. "Preparing Young Adults to Secure the Future" $93,061. Federal. 2016 - 2017
- Nunnery, J. A., Slavin, R., Madden, N., Bol, L., Morrison, G. R., Grant, M., Arnold-Puchalski, P. and Chappell Moots, S. "A Technology-facilitated Scale up of a Proven Model of Mathematics Instruction in High Need Schools" $25,000,000. Federal. 2011 - 2016
- Ward, C., Levingston, K., Craigen, L. M. and Grant, M. "Boosting students’ mathematics achievement and promoting positive social connections for military connected families at targeted Newport News Public Schools. " $150,589. September 2011 - August 2014
- Myran, S. and Grant, M. "Partnership for Teaching and Leading Quality Mathematics Education" $175,000. State. 2011 - 2012
Enhancing mathematics teacher preparation and learning through problem solving, discussion and simulation technology; and broadening diversity and inclusion in institutional spaces.
- Fantz, T. and Grant, M. (2013). An Engineering Design STEM Project: T-shirt Launcher. The Technology and Engineering Teacher 72 (8) , pp. 14-20.
- Enderson, M. and Grant, M. (2013). Emerging Engineers in Middle School Mathematics Classes. Mathematics Teaching in the Middle School 18 (6) , pp. 362-369.
- Brosnan, P. A., Schmidlin, A. and Grant, M. (2013). Successful Mathematics Achievement is Attainable International Guide to Student Achievement England: Taylor & Franis/Routledge.
- Grant, M., Larson, M., Heaton, R. and Norton, A. (April , 2014). NCTM and JRME as Resources for Leaders of Professional Learning Other 2014 NCSM Annual Conference New Orleans, LA.
- Coffman, L., Willis, D., Wilke, M. and Grant, M. (October , 2013). Reconstructing Mathematics Teaching: A Tiered Model for Sustainable Change Other 2013 Annual ACT Conference New York, NY.
- Grant, M. (October , 2013). Problem Solving: Say What. . . ? What is the real problem ? Other TCTM Fall Conference 2013 Virginia Beach, VA.
- Crombie, B. and Grant, M. (July , 2012). Polynomial Calculus: Rethinking the Role of Architecture and Access to Advanced Study Other The 12th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME-12) Seoul, Korea.
- Grant, M., Crombie, B., Cobb, N., Tuttle, J., Tridico, A. and Hassan, L. (July , 2012). Polynomial Calculus: Rethinking the Role of Calculus in High Schools Other The 12th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME-12) Seoul, Korea.
- Grant, M. (April , 2012). Productive Peer Culture: Algebra Project Students’ View Paper 2012 Annual Meeting American Educational Research Association Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- Grant, M. (October , 2011). AP Cohort Model: A Structure for Transforming High School Mathematics Peer Culture Poster 33rd Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group of the Psychology of Mathematics Education Reno, NV.
- Grant, M. (October , 2010). Examining Sociocultural Contexts of Classrooms to Foster Student Mathematical Discourse and Learning Paper 32nd Annual Meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group of the Psychology of Mathematics Education Columbus, OH.
- Grant, M. ( 2008). Mathematics coaching and power dynamics Paper Annual Research Presession of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Erchick, D. B.. and Grant, M. ( 2007). Experiences for argument and proof in the middle grades Other Annual Meeting of the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics Columbus, Ohio.
- Grant, M. and Hughes, K. ( 2007). Mathematics Coaching Program: Working & learning with coache Annual Meeting of the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics Columbus, Ohio.
- Grant, M. ( 2007). Teachers as leaders of learners Annual Meeting of the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics Columbus, Ohio.
- Erchick, D., Brosnan, P., Forrest, D., Douglass, L., Grant, M. and Hughes, K. ( 2007). Findings from the first year of a K-6 mathematics coaching project Paper Research Presession of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Atlanta, GA.
- 2011: Largest Grant Award, Darden College of Education
- 2011: Most Collaborative Grant, Darden College of Education