President Hemphill, JLab Director Stuart Henderson make Inside Business’ Annual Power List
May 26, 2022
Old Dominion University President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., and Stuart Henderson, Governor's Distinguished CEBAF (Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility) Professor at ODU, were named to the annual Inside Business Power List for 2022.
President Hemphill and Henderson were listed among "65 power players" by the publication.
President Hemphill, who took office in July 2021, "hit the ground running, with a joint School of Public Healthwith Eastern Virginia Medical School and Norfolk State announced in August," the publication noted.
Since his arrival, the University has also launched the ODU Maritime Initiative; signed a memorandum of understanding with Eastern Virginia Medical School and Sentara to strengthen educational research and health care outcomes in Hampton Roads; and earned the Research 1 Classification, indicating "very high research activity," from the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, placing it among the highest level of research institutions in the United States.
Henderson, a member of ODU's Department of Physics who has served as director of the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility since 2017, "is working with scientific and industry partners to expand and diversify the lab's scientific mission and recently established Jefferson Lab's Research and Technology Partnerships Office, which aims to work with community partners in Hampton Roads to expand the lab's unique benefits to local organizations and interest groups," Inside Business wrote.
The lab, which is operated by the U.S. Department of Energy, "features a large-scale superconducting accelerator that enables the research of more than 1,500 nuclear physicists worldwide," the publication noted. ODU is the lab's largest research partner.
This is Henderson's fourth appearance on the list.
Several other individuals with active ties to ODU also made the "65 power players" list:
- Monique Adams, founder and executive director of 757 Angels (Old Dominion Athletic Foundation board member)
- Scott Adams, president of Colliers Virginia (Dean's Executive Advisory Council Old Dominion University)
- Lisa Chandler, vice president and principal broker for Rose & Womble, Chandler Property Management (chair of the Old Dominion University Real Estate Foundation's board)
- Dawna Ellis, chief financial and operating officer of Harvey Lindsay Commercial Real Estate (member of the real estate foundation board)
- Johnny Garcia, '11 Ph.D., founder and CEO of multiple businesses (president of ODU's College of Engineering executive advisory board; ODU's Virginia Modeling, Analysis, and Simulation Center)
Additionally, several others from ODU were named to the "emeritus" power list, which recognizes people who "are still engaged, but their tenure in our community is not only implicit, it's a valuable ongoing contribution:"
- Vinod Agarwal, director of ODU's Economic Forecasting Project
- R. Bruce Bradley, rector of the Board of Visitors
- Alonzo Brandon, vice president for University Advancement
- John R. Broderick, president emeritus, Old Dominion University
Inside Business' annual Power List is designed to "showcase who's who in terms of moving the needle for the economy in Hampton Roads, whether they be the decision-makers, the influencers and even some working behind the scenes."
For 2022, the publication organized a Top 25 by types of influence or power. Another 65 "power players" from various backgrounds and sectors were also recognized.