Directed by Dr. Ramamurthy Prabhakaran
The Solid Mechanics Laboratory houses several machines for measuring the mechanical properties of a variety of materials. It is equipped with a computerized data acquisition system for recording and data analysis. Recent additions are experiments in non-destructive material and composite evaluation.
- Food and drinks are strictly prohibited.
- Safety glasses/goggles must be worn when instructed.
- No open-toed shoes, jewelry, or loose clothing may be worn inside the lab. Long hair must be tied into a bun and covered with a hair net if any machinery is operated.
- Please maintain a tidy workspace and clean the machines after use.
- Report any damaged equipment, leaks, or malfunctions to the lab coordinator.
- Each student should conduct himself or herself in a manner that ensures the safety of all group members at all times.
- Do not operate any machine without permission from the instructor.
- Handle broken specimens carefully; they may have sharp edges.
- ODU Lab Safety Rules, MSDS forms, and Accident Report forms can be found in the laboratory documents binder or online.
- A First Aid Kit is located inside the lab. When needed, please utilize the kit and immediately contact lab coordinator Amit Kulkarni at 757-362-4807 or email at email@example.com.
- For serious injuries and emergencies, please call 911 or ODU Campus Police at 757-683-4000.
- To contact the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Dept. call 757-683-6363.
- For questions on safety and training certifications, please contact Kelvin Colvin at 757-683-4592 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Measurement of Material Properties
Universal Testing Machine (MTS)
Torsion Twisting Machine
Benestop Testing Machines