Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, New Mexico State University, (1985)
M.S.E.E. in , New Mexico State University, (1978)
B.A. in Mathematics and Physics, Franklin & Marshall College, (1976)
- Horan, S. (2003). Compression in Telemetry San Diego/Academic Press: Lossless Compression Handbook.
- Horan, S. (2003). Application of Data Compression to Frame and Packet Telemetry Proc. International Telemetering Conference.
- Horan, S. (2000). Introducing Circuit Design in Freshman Lab St. Louis, MO: ASEE Annual Conference.
- 2010: Las Cruces Public Schools Service Award,
- 2001: Klipsch School of Electrical and Computer Engineering Outstanding Service Award,
- 2001: SCIAD of the Year Award,
- 2000: Decade of Dedicated Service Award, Tombaugh Elementary School
- 1996: Phi Delta Kappa Certificate of Recognition for the Science Intern Program Being a Service to Education,
- 1994: Dedicated Dr. Sheila Horan Science Room, Clyde W. Tombaugh Elementary School
- 1994: Las Cruces Association of Classroom Teachers Certificate of Appreciation,