Human Movement Sciences
- Tourism Impacts on Local Communities
- Surf Culture and Tourism
- Tourism in the Developing World
- surf and coastal tourism, sustainable tourism
- Usher, L., and Kerstetter, D. L. (2015). Re-defining localism: An ethnography of human territoriality in the surf. International Journal of Tourism Anthropology, 4 (3), pp. 286-302.
- Usher, L., Goff, J., Gomez, E., and (2015). Exploring surfers’ perceptions of municipal regulations using grounded theory. Annals of Leisure Research
- Usher, L., Deborah, K., and (2015). "Surfistas locales": Transnationalism and the construction of surfer identity in Nicaragua. Journal of Sport and Social Issues
- Usher, L., and Kerstetter, D. L. (2014). Residents' perceptions of quality of life in a surf tourism destination: A case study of Las Salinas, Nicaragua. Progress in Development Studies, 14 (4), pp. 321-333.
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research