DEAN, HONORS COLLEGE
Patricia & Douglas Perry Honors College
- History of rhetoric (biblical, classical, modern) <br>Jewish studies <br>Composition, pedagogy <br>Psychoanalytic theory <br>
- Metzger, D. (2018). "No Gap, No Interval": Time, Vision, and Argument in Adam Smith's Rhetoric. Scotia: Interdisciplinary Journal of Scottish Studies, XL (2018), pp. 1-20.
- Metzger, D. (2015). "From Thought Experiment and Machines to Ethical Maps: A Response to Jim Brown". Media Commons: a digital scholarly network
- Metzger, D. (2011). "Bobby Who?: A Response to Diane Davis". Journal of Advanced Composition, 31 (2011), pp. 273-282.
- Metzger, D., and Katz, S. (2010). The Place of Rhetoric in Aggadic Midrash. College English/NCTE, 72 (6), pp. 639-653.
- Metzger, D. (2004). "The Call of Rhetoric". Enculturation, 5 (2),
- Metzger, D. (2003). "The Process of Analysis and the Queering of Obsessional Discourse". Literature and Psychology, 49 (3), pp. 1-15.
- Metzger, D., and Willson, A. (2003). "But is He Really Smart?: Gardner's Multiple Intelligences Theory in the World of Harry Potter". Popular Culture Review, 14, pp. 25-36.
- Metzger, D. (2002). "Jacques Maritain and the Development of Academic Medievalism". Popular Culture Review, 13, pp. 24-32.
- Metzger, D. (2000). "4 Degrees of Richard Weaver: the rhetoric of responsibility in standards-based education". Kairos: a Journal for Teachers of Writing in Webbed Environments, 5 (1),
- Metzger, D. (1998). "Identification and the Real of Obsession". Umbr(a), 4,
- Metzger, D. (1998). "St. Catherine, Lacan, and the Problem of Psycho-Biography". Disputatio: A Transdisiplinary Journal of Medieval Studies, 3, pp. 87-105.
- Metzger, D. (1997). "Saul/Paul and the Promise of Technological Reforms. Enculturation, 1,
- Metzger, D. (1997). "Sexuation and the Drive". Umbr(a), 3, pp. 123-139.
- Metzger, D. (1997). Freud's "Jewish Science" and Lacan's Sinthome. American Imago, 57, pp. 87-99.
- Metzger, D. (1994). "Writing as Symptom and Desire: A Lacanian Perspective on the Emergence of Popular Culture in the Composition Classroom". The Writing Instructor, 13 (3), pp. 101-111.
- Metzger, D. (1992). "Rhetoric and Death in Thelma and Louise". Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, 5,
- Metzger, D. (1989). "Platonic Allegory and the Origins of Writing in the Faerie Queene". Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Teaching, 16, pp. 3-4, 8.
- Metzger, D. (1988). "Eternity and Patterns of Conversion in the Digby Mary Magdalene". Athenaeum Society Review, 4,
- Metzger, D., and Schulman, P. (2006). Chasing Esther: Jewish Expressions of Cultural Difference. Santa Monica, CA & Haifa, Israel: Kol Katan Press/University of Haifa.
- Metzger, D. (2000). Medievalism and the Academy II: Cultural Studies. D.S. Brewer.
- Metzger, D., Verduin, K., and Workman, L. J. (1998). Medievalism and The Academy I: Medieval Studies. D.S. Brewer.
- Metzger, D. (1995). "Lacan and The Question of Writing." Special Issue of Pre/Text a Journal of Rhetorical Theory.
- Metzger, D. (1995). The Lost Cause of Rhetoric: the relation of rhetoric and geometry in Aristotle and Lacan. Carbondale, Illinois: Southern Illinois University Press.
- Metzger, D. (1993). Rhetoric and the Language Arts Classroom: A Handbook for Language Arts Teachers. Journal of Montana Association of Teachers of English Langauge Arts.
- Metzger, D. (2022). "Socrates in the City of Bones: Plato's Republic & August Wilson's Gem of the Ocean".The Aliens Within: Danger, Disease, and Displacement in Representations of the Racialized Poor (pp. 277-291). Berlin: De Gruyter.
- Metzger, D. (2019). "Psychoanalysis, Dignity, and Life". (pp. 18 pages). Media Commons: Media Commons Field Guide.
- Metzger, D. (2014). Maimonides' Contribution to a Theory of Self Persuasion.Jewish Rhetorics: History, Theory, Practice (pp. 112-130). Brandeis University Press.
- Metzger, D. (2013). "Foreword: It/Rhetoric is (not) in Heaven".Continegency, Immanence, and the Subject of Rhetoric (pp. ix-xii). Parlor Press.
- Scialdone-Kimberley, H., and Metzger, D. (2009). Writing in the 3rd Space from the Sun: A Pentadic Analysis of Discussion Papers Written for the 7th Session of the UN Form on Forests. (pp. 39-54). Routledge: In Rhetorics, Literacies, & Narratives of Sustainability.
- Metzger, D. (2004). Interpretation and the Topology of Language.Topologically Speaking (pp. 134-149). New York: The Other Press.
- Metzger, D. (2003). "Shoah and The Origins of Teaching".Witinessing the Disaster. (pp. 231-244). Madison, Wisconsin: U of Wisconsin P.
- Metzger, D. (2000). The Neurotic Orientation of Religion in Freud and Lacan.The Subject of Lacan: A Lacanian Reader for Psychologists (pp. 45-58). Albany, New York: State University of New York P.
- Metzger, D. (2000). "A Dialogue on Dialogues.".Genre by Example: Teachers Writing What They Teach. Ed. David Starkey (pp. 55-78). Portsmouth, NH:
- Metzger, D. (1998). "Medievalism and the Problem of Radical Evil in Snodgrass's The Fuehrer Bunker".Medievalism and the Idea of the Middle Ages. Amsterdam: Brepols.
- Metzger, D. (1998). "Teaching as a Test of Truth".Rhetoric in an Anti-Foundational World (pp. 423-453). Cambridge, MA: Yale UP.
- 2018: President, Virginia Collegiate Honors College
- 2017: "Most Inspiring Faculty Member" Award, ODU Alumni Center
- 2017: Vice President, Virginia Collegiate Honors Council, VCHC
- 2014: "Champion of Diversity", Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity
- 2012: "Living Learning Community of the Year", Student Engagement and Enrollment Services
- 2007: Award of Recognition for Outstanding Leadership and Service, IJIU Advisory Board
- 2006: Outstanding Service Award to Arts and Letters, College of Arts and Letters
- 1993: The NORCHE Prize for Instructional Innovation, Northern Rockies Consortium for Higher Education