Ph.D. in Modeling and Simulation, Old Dominion University, (2022)
M.S. in Applied and Computational Mathematics, Old Dominion University, (2009)
B.S. in Applied Mathematics, Old Dominion University, (2008)
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Old Dominion University, (2008)
- Modeling and Simulation
- Sponsoring Organization: Old Dominion University
- Date Obtained:
Scientific visualization including visualization in virtual and augmented reality; Computer visualization, with an emphasis in game-based learning and virtual environments; Serious game development for STEM education; Instructional technologies that promote student understanding of mathematics in higher education
- Smith, K., Shull, J., Dean, A. W., Shen, Y. and Michaeli, J. (2016). SiGMA: A software framework for integrating advanced mathematical capabilities in serious game development. Advances in Engineering Software 100 , pp. 319-325.
- Smith, K., Shull, J., Shen, Y., Dean, A. W. and Heaney, P. (2018). A Framework for Designing Smarter Serious Games Smart Universities: Concepts, Systems, Research (pp. 263-294) Springer.
- Smith, K., Shull, J., Heaney, P., Shen, Y., Dean, A. W. and Michaeli, J. (2017). Overview of Game and Content Design for a Mobile Game that will Prepare Students in Calculus and Physics Prerequisites to the Engineering Curriculum Columbus, OH: 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Smith, K. Implementation of Dynamic Geometry Applets to Enhance Student Learning in Online Courses Proceedings of the Twenty-ninth Annual International Conference on Technology in Collegiate Mathematics.
- Smith, K., Shen, Y., Shull, J., Dean, A. W. and Michaeli, J. (2016). A Toolkit for Presenting Advanced Mathematics in Serious Games IEEE SouthEastCon.
- Smith, K. (May 17, 2017). Using Open-Source Software to Increase Engagement Oral Presentation 2017 Faculty Summer Institute Norfolk, VA.
- Smith, K., Liu, Z. and Shen, Y. (April , 2017). ActiveFLOVE: A Framework for Explorative Visualization of Large Flow Data Demonstration SpringSim 2017 Virginia Beach, VA.
- Shull, J. and Smith, K. (February , 2016). A Toolkit for Presenting Advanced Mathematics in Serious Gaming Poster ASNE Day 2016 Arlington, VA.
- 2015: College of Sciences Distinguished Teaching Award - Lecturer, ODU College of Sciences