Political Science & Geography
Dr. Tom Allen
7020 BATTEN ARTS & LETTERS
Ph.D. in Geography, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (1995)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Allen, T. "A Community-wide Pub Health Assessment of Vulnerable H20 Infrastructure Coast Cities" $36,233. Higher Education. September 1, 2016 - June 30, 2018
- Allen, T. and Mcleod, G. "March Habitat Classification Synthesis for Southern Coastal" $38,000. Federal. August 14, 2017 - December 31, 2017
- Allen, T., Alberts, T. E. and Mcleod, G. "Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVS) for coastal resources and hazards" $8,985. Federal. May 16, 2017 - December 31, 2017
- Allen, T. and Mcleod, G. "Geospatial Analysis of Urban-Rural Flooding" $30,000. Commercial. August 24, 2017 - October 31, 2017
- Loftis, J. Derek., Mitchell, M., Atkinson, L. P., Hamlington, B., Allen, T., Forrest, D., Updyke, T., Tahvildari, N., Bekaert, D. and Bushnell, M. (2018). Integrated Ocean, Earth, and Atmospheric Observations for Resilience Planning in Hampton Roads, Virginia. MARINE TECHNOLOGY SOCIETY JOURNAL 52 (2) , pp. 68-83.
- Allen, T. and Howard, R. (2015). Improving Low-Relief Coastal LiDAR DEMs with Hydro-Conditioning of Fine-Scale and Artificial Drainages. FRONTIERS IN EARTH SCIENCE 3.
- Cleckner, H. and Allen, T. (2014). Dasymetric Mapping and Spatial Modeling of Mosquito Vector Exposure, Chesapeake, Virginia, USA. ISPRS INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GEO-INFORMATION 3 (3) , pp. 891-913.
- Griffin, M. T.., Edwards, James Dean, Jr. and Allen, T. (2016). Coastal Impervious Cover and Watershed Scale: Implications for Environmental Management, New Hanover County, North Carolina. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF APPLIED GEOSPATIAL RESEARCH 7 (1) , pp. 45-62.
- Allen, T., Crawford, T., Montz, B., Whitehead, J., Lovelace, S., Hanks, A. D.., Christensen, A. R.. and Kearney, G. D.. (2019). Linking Water Infrastructure, Public Health, and Sea Level Rise: Integrated Assessment of Flood Resilience in Coastal Cities. Public Works Management \& Policy 24 (1) , pp. 110-139.
- Manda, A. K., Owers, J. E. and Allen, T. (2017). Simulating marine and groundwater inundation on a barrier island setting under changing sea-level rise scenarios Abstracts with Programs - Geological Society of America,.
- 2018: Special Achievement in GIS, Esri
- 2015: Faculty Member of the Year, Center for Sustainability (ECU)
- 2010: Centennial Award for Outstanding Service, East Carolina University
- 2003: Virginia Scholar Award, Virginia Social Science Association
- 2003: Fulbright Scholar Award, US Fulbright Foundation
- 1996: Esri Award for Best Scientific Paper, Esri
- 1994: Ta Liang Memorial Award, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing