Dr. Erten-Unal worked in consulting as a project engineer prior to joining ODU. Her research areas include adaptation design to sea level rise, wastewater treatment, pollution prevention and sustainable development.
Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, (1988)
M.Eng in Environmental and Planning Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology, (1983)
B.S. in Urban and Regional Planning, Middle East Technical University, (1979)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Steckroth, J. J., Bondi, S. and Erten-Unal, M. "Sustainable Engineering Concepts and Utilization in a Research Environment (SECURE)" $498,078. Federal. August 16, 2009 - August 15, 2012
- Erten-Unal, M., Yoon, J. and Bao, H. P. "Pollution Prevention Information Network" $127,461. Federal. January 1, 2006 - December 31, 2006
- Erten-Unal, M., Yoon, J. and Kaufman, P. "Center for Sustainable Development" $30,136. State. July 1, 2001 - June 30, 2003
- Erten-Unal, M., Yoon, J. and Kaufman, P. "“Center for Sustainable Development,”" $30,136. State. July 1, 2001 - June 30, 2003
Biological and hazardous wastewater treatment, green infrastructure, adaptive design to sea level rise, pollution prevention and sustainable development.
- Erten-Unal, M., Young, R. K. and Robinson, H. L. (2000). Pollution Prevention Incentives for Marine Maintenance Industries. Journal of Solid Waste Technology and Management 26 (3-4) , pp. 140-148.
- Erten-Unal, M. and Wixson, B. G. (1999). Biotreatment and Chemical Speciation of Lead and Zinc Mine/Mill Wastewater Discharges in Missouri, USA. Journal of Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 116 , pp. 501-522.
- Erten-Unal, M., Gelderloos, A. and Hughes, J. (1998). A Toxicity Reduction Evaluation for an Oily Waste Treatment Plant Exhibiting Episodic Effluent Toxicity. The Science of the Total Environment Journal 218 (2-3) , pp. 141-152.
- Erten-Unal, M., Wixson, B. G., Gale, N. and Pitt, J. L. (1998). Evaluation of Toxicity, Bioavailability and Speciation of Lead, Zinc, and Cadmium in Mine/Mill Wastewaters. Journal of Chemical Speciation and Bioavailability 10 (2) , pp. 37-46.
- Erten-Unal, M. and Aydlett, G. (1997). An Innovative Partnership Approach for Environmental Management and Pollution Prevention. Journal of Industry and Higher Education 11 (6) , pp. 371-377.
- Robinson, H. L. and Erten-Unal, M. (1997). Pollution Prevention Initiatives for Commercial Printing Industries. Journal of Solid Waste Management and Technology 24 (6) , pp. 66-73.
- Erten-Unal, M. (2009). Hazardous Waste Treatment (pp. 173-196) Environmentally Conscious Materials Handling, Wiley Series in Environmentally Conscious Engineering.