Ph.D. in Zoology, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, (2009)
M.S. in Zoology, University of Hawai'i at Manoa, (2008)
B.S. in Biology, The Evergreen State College, (2000)
Contracts, Grants and Sponsored Research
- Carpenter, K. E. "PIRE: Centennial genetic and species transformations in the epicenter of marine biodiversity" $4606918. Federal. October, 2017 - September, 2022
- Barshis, D. "Physiological and genomic investigation of coral thermal tolerance adaptation in the Red Sea" $158400. Federal. October, 2017 - September, 2020
- Barshis, D. "Bleaching phenotypes of acute vs. chronic coral bleaching susceptibility and resilience: towards a standardized coral resilience diagnostic" $300000. Federal. September, 2018 - August, 2020
- Barshis, D. "Coral Thermal Adaptation in the Red Sea" $56206.00 . Other. October, 2017 - September, 2018
- Barshis, D. "Climate change resilience and the heterotrophic “rescue effect” in the temperate coral Astrangia poculata" $80000. . July, 2016 - July, 2018
- Barshis, D. "Characterizing the distribution and local adaptation potential of the Northern Star Coral (Astrangia poculata) in Virginia" $10000. Old Dominion University. January, 2017 - December, 2017
- Barshis, D. "Thermal acclimatization capacity in reef-building corals: assessing the climate change resilience of the corals of American Samoa" $60000. Federal. July, 2015 - December, 2017
- Barshis, D. "Climate Change Resilience And The Heterotrophic "Rescue Effect" In The Temperate Coral Astrangia Poculata" $80000.00 . Higher Education. July, 2016 - July, 2017
- Barshis, D. "Genomic basis of migration success in Pacific salmonids" $150104. Federal. October, 2013 - October, 2015
- Barshis, D. "Postdoctoral Scholar Fellowship " $254840. . , 2010 - , 2011
- Barshis, D. "GK-12 Education Fellowship, National Science Foundation" $49000. . , 2007 - , 2008
- Safaie, A. (2018). High-frequency temperature variability reduces the risk of coral bleaching. Nature Communications 9 , pp. 1671.
- Torda, G. (2017). Rapid adaptive responses to climate change in corals. Nature Climate Change 7 (9) , pp. 627–636.
- Egekwu, N. (2016). Comparing synganglion neuropeptides, neuropeptide receptors and neurotransmitter receptors and their gene expression in response to feeding in Ixodes scapularis (Ixodidae) versus Ornithodoros turicata (Argasidae). Insect Molecular Biology 25 (1) , pp. 72-92.
- McKeon, C. Seabird. (2015). Melting barriers to faunal exchange across ocean basins. Global Change Biology (Online Early View).
- McKeon, C. S. (2015). Ecological drivers and habitat associations of estuarine bivalves. PeerJ 3:e1348 , pp. 1-16.
- Willette, D. (2014). So, you want to use next-generation sequencing in marine systems? Insight from the Pan-Pacific Advanced Studies Institute. Bulletin of Marine Science 90 (1) , pp. 79–122.
- Barshis, D. (2014). Lineage-specific transcriptional profiles of Symbiodinium spp. unaltered by heat stress in a coral host. Molecular Biology and Evolution 31 (6) , pp. 1343-52.
- Palumbi, S. R. (2014). Mechanisms of reef coral resistance to future climate change. Science 344 (6186) , pp. 895-8.
- Anderson, E. C. (2014). Next-generation sequencing for molecular ecology: a caveat regarding pooled samples. Molecular Ecology 23 (3) , pp. 502-12.
- Barshis, D. (2013). Genomic basis for coral resilience to climate change. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 110 (4) , pp. 1387-1392.
- Ladner, J. T. (2012). Amino acid sequence evolution in four Symbiodinium clades: an exploration into the genetic basis of thermal tolerance in Symbiodinium clade D. BMC Evolutionary Biology 12 (217).
- Padilla-Gamino, J. (2012). Are all eggs created equal? A case study from the Hawaiian reef building coral Montipora capitata. 31 , pp. 137-152.
- Amend, A. (2012). Coral-associated marine fungi form novel lineages and heterogeneous assemblages. The ISME Journal 6 , pp. 1291-1301.
- DeWit, P. (2012). The simple fool's guide to population genomics via RNA-Seq: an introduction to high-throughput sequencing data analysis. Molecular Ecology Resources 12 , pp. 1058-1067.
- Barshis, D. (2011). A link between coastal upwelling and temporal genetic variability in the Acorn Barnacle Balanus glandula. Marine Ecology Progress Series 439 , pp. 139-150.
- Barshis, D. (2010). Protein expression and genetic structure of the coral Porites lobata in an environmentally extreme Samoan back reef: does host genotype limit phenotypic plasticity?. Molecular Ecology 19 (8) , pp. 1705-1720.
- Brown, D. (2009). American Samoa’s island of giants: Massive Porites colonies at Ta’u Island. 28 , pp. 735.
- Forsman, Z. (2009). Molecular markers show morphology is evolutionarily plastic in Porites. BMC Evolutionary Biology 9 , pp. 45.
- Smith, L. W. (2007). Phenotypic plasticity for skeletal growth, density and calcification of Porites lobata in response to habitat type. Coral Reefs 26 , pp. 559-567.
- Barshis, D. (2015). Genomic potential for coral survival of climate change Coral Reefs in the Anthropocene (pp. 133-146) Springer.
- Pinsky, M. L. (2013). Marine conservation in a changing climate Encyclopedia of Biodiversity (pp. 32-44) San Diego, CA: Academic Press.
- Spalding, H. (2010). Broader impacts from the bottom-up: integrating K-12 education into your grant applications . Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment (pp. 217-218).
- Haymaker, C. (March , 2017). Algal endosymbiont diversity in the common reef-building coral Goniastrea retiformis ten years after experimental bleaching Poster Annual meeting of the Benthic Ecology Meeting Society Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Klepac, C. N. (March , 2017). Physiological evidence of local adaptation in the massive corals Porites lobata and Goniastrea retiformis from Ofu Island, American Samoa Oral Presentation Annual meeting of the Benthic Ecology Meeting Society Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Potts, D. (July , 2016). A different kind of ocean acidification and refugia for pH-tolerant organisms Oral Presentation International Coral Reef Symposium Honolulu, HI.
- Hancock, H. A. (July , 2016). Do small scales make a big difference? Unraveling the influence of recent thermal history on coral bleaching susceptibility at daily and weekly time-scales. Oral Presentation International Coral Reef Symposium Honolulu, HI.
- Martinez-Fernandez, A. (July , 2016). Gene expression differences in Caribbean corals in response to naturally acidified submarine springs: Results from a reciprocal transplant experiment Poster International Coral Reef Symposium Honolulu, HI.
- Sawall, Y. (July , 2016). Spatio-temporal variation of coral gene expression across 12 latitudes and 2 seasons in the Red Sea (Temperature: 21° - 33°C) Oral Presentation International Coral Reef Symposium Honolulu, HI.
- Klepac, C. N. (July , 2016). The timeline of thermal acclimatization in American Samoan corals: how long does it take to gain bleaching resistance? Oral Presentation International Coral Reef Symposium Honolulu, HI.
- Barshis, D. (July , 2016). Very local adaptation in coral thermal tolerance limits: evidence from 2.5 countries, 2 oceans, and 2 species Oral Presentation International Coral Reef Symposium Honolulu, HI.
- Barshis, D. (November , 2015). Very local adaptation in coral thermal tolerance limits: evidence from 2.5 countries, 2 oceans, and 2 species Oral Presentation Western Society of Naturalists Annual Meeting Sacramento, CA.
- Hancock, H. A. (May 2, 2015). Carbon translocation revisited: Symbiont carbon sequestration in the mixotrophic coral Oculina diffusa Oral Presentation Yosemite Symbiosis Workshop Wawona Research Station, Yosemite, CA.
- Klepac, C. N. (March 28, 2015). Assessing resilience to climate change in American Samoa corals Oral Presentation BGSO Spring Symposium ODU.
- Hancock, H. A. (March 28, 2015). Exploiting mixotrophy to better understand carbon translocation from symbiont to host in the coral Oculina diffusa Oral Presentation BGSO Spring Symposium ODU.
- Barshis, D. (October 26, 2014). The Application of Ecophysiological and Genomic Investigations of Thermal Variability to Mesophotic Coral Reefs Poster Israel Mesophotic Coral Ecosystems Workshop Eliat, Israel.
- Barshis, D. (September , 2014). Corals in hot water: the mechanics of coral climate change resistance Lecture Chapel Hill, NC.
- Barshis, D. ( 2013). Corals in hot water: The mechanics of coral climate change resilience. Oral Presentation Honolulu, HI.
- Barshis, D. ( 2013). Genomic signatures of increased stress tolerance in reef corals Oral Presentation Wawona, CA.
- Barshis, D. ( 2012). Genomic signatures of increased stress tolerance in reef corals Oral Presentation Seaside, CA.
- Barshis, D. ( 2012). Location and Symbiodinium type drive gene expression during heat stress in Acropora hyacinthus. Oral Presentation Cairns, Australia.
- Barshis, D. ( 2011). Linking environment, to genotype, to expression phenotype through next-generation transcriptome sequencing of a reef-building coral Oral Presentation Annual meeting of the Society for the Study of Evolution Norman, OK.
- Barshis, D. ( 2010). Stress resistance and resilience in the coral Acropora hyacinthus: gene expression analysis based on high-throughput sequencing. Poster American Physiological Society Intersociety Meeting Westminster, CO.
- Barshis, D. ( 2010). Evolution of climate change resilience in American Samoan corals Annual meeting of the Society for the Study of Evolution Portland, OR.
- Barshis, D. ( 2010). Sequencing the dirty coral holobiont: metagenomic profiling of the Acropora hyacinthus community Oral Presentation Wageningen, Netherlands.
- ( 2009). Coastal upwelling may drive sweepstakes recruitment in the Acorn Barnacle Balanus glandula Oral Presentation Monterey, CA.
- Barshis, D. ( 2008). Host adaptation to thermal extremes? Evidence from the reef building coral Porites lobata. Oral Presentation Annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology San Antonio, TX.
- Barshis, D. ( 2008). Corals in hot water: physiological responses of Porites lobata in a diurnally fluctuating environment. Oral Presentation Fort Lauderdale, FL.
- Barshis, D. ( 2007). Acclimatization of thermal and oxidative stress responses to environmental fluctuation in the reef building coral Porites lobata. Poster International Conference on the Ecophysiology of Marine Organisms: Coping with change Hong Kong SAR.
- Barshis, D. ( 2006). Physiological conditioning by a short-term stress regime: stress biomarker levels in the reef-building coral Porites lobata Poster ASLO, AGU Ocean Sciences Meeting Honolulu, HI.
- Barshis, D. ( 2004). Chemical defense mechanisms in Hawaiian Scleractinia Poster Okinawa, Japan.