Applying to Graduate Programs

Individuals who have completed a non-teaching undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution and wish to become licensed teachers, counselors, or principals may pursue one of the following programs. Upon completion of the program, an individual will earn a master's degree and become eligible to apply for the professional license in their respective program.

Review the admission requirements and application procedures for each program.

How to Apply

To apply for an M.S. in Education with Initial Licensure in Pk-6, 6-8, and 6-12 grades, you must:
  • Have a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution or an equivalent degree from a foreign institution.
  • Submit official transcript
  • Have a 2.8 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
  • Due to July 1, 2019 VDOE regulations, students must only have passing Praxis Core Reading and Writing scores or their equivalents (VCLA, SAT, or ACT).
  • Praxis Core Math or its equivalent may be taken later in the program, but must be taken prior to student teaching.

Consult your specific master's degree admission requirements.


  1. Apply for admission to Graduate Program ►
  2. Complete and submit the Professional Dispositions Survey ►