By Erica Howell
Dr. Kraj has been an associate professor at ODU since the fall of 2016 and currently serves as the program director of the medical laboratory science program. Prior to ODU she served Augusta University (formerly the Medical College of Georgia) in various positions from Research Associate to Associate Professor for 18 years. Dr. Kraj earned her Master of Science degree in molecular biology from the University of Silesia in Poland and her PhD in clinical laboratory sciences from Virginia Commonwealth University.
"I will be in my element," Dr. Kraj said. "I have worked in education since 2005 and I am familiar with the uniqueness of the health professions - those that require certification to practice, as well as the hands-on component for our students."
As associate dean, Dr. Kraj will lead the college towards its educational goals, as outlined in the strategic plan. She has extensive experience mentoring students, as well as working with partners both internally and externally to secure internships or clinical experience required for certification or accreditation. She is also looking forward to supporting faculty with their teaching needs and educational scholarship.
"Dr. Kraj brings a wealth of experience into this position, and she will be instrumental in our pursuit of excellence for all of our health sciences programs," said Bonnie Van Lunen, PhD, Dean of the College of Health Sciences. "Our leadership team is now complete, and we are excited about the path forward for the College as we have restructured our programs and created additional schools."
The hiring committee included:
- Christopher Rhea, PhD, committee chair and Associate Dean for Research & Innovation in the College of Health Sciences
- Sara Maynard, MMHPE, School of Medical Diagnostic and Translational Sciences
- Adaira Howell, MS, School of Dental Hygiene
- Patricia Laverdure, OTD, School of Rehabilitation Sciences
- Rachel Johnson, PhD, Department of Communication Disorders & Special Education
- Hunter Bennett, PhD, Department of Human Movement Sciences