Easily completed in one calendar year, this certificate gives students who already hold at least a master’s degree in a different field the 18 hours of graduate study in literature that are the minimum requirement for teaching that subject at the post-secondary level in Virginia.
- Gives students a grounding in the history and cultural significance of American, British, and other literary traditions written primarily in English
- Includes focused study of culturally diverse literary traditions, such as African-American, Native American, Asian American, and World literatures
- Gives students comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of the various methodologies for interpreting literary works that literary scholars have developed
- Offers students curricular flexibility in choosing which areas of literature they wish to focus on
- Affords students the choice to take an additional twelve hours and complete requirements for the M. A. in English—Literature Emphasis degree
Poets, Lyricists and Creative Writers
Create original written works, such as scripts, essays, prose, poetry or song lyrics, for publication or performance.
Public Relations and Fundraising Managers
Plan, direct, or coordinate activities designed to create or maintain a favorable public image or raise issue awareness for their organization or client; or if engaged in fundraising, plan, direct, or coordinate activities to solicit and maintain funds for special projects or nonprofit organizations.
English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Administer libraries and perform related library services. Work in a variety of settings, including public libraries, educational institutions, museums, corporations, government agencies, law firms, non-profit organizations, and healthcare providers. Tasks may include selecting, acquiring, cataloguing, classifying, circulating, and maintaining library materials; and furnishing reference, bibliographical, and readers
Estimated rates for the 2023-24 academic year. Rates are subject to change. Anyone that is not a current Virginia resident will be charged non-resident rates. That includes international students.
Ways to Save
Here are a few ways for you to save on the cost of attending ODU. For more information visit University Student Financial aid