Dr. Dipankar Ghosh joined the faculty of the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Old Dominion University in 2014. Prior joining to ODU, Dr. Ghosh was a postdoctoral scholar in the Division of Engineering and Applied Science at California Institute of Technology. He also held a position of postdoctoral associate in the Materials Science and Engineering Department at University of Florida. He completed PhD in Mechanical Engineering, 2009, from the University of Florida. He has a BS in Chemical Technology/Ceramic Engineering from the Calcutta University, India, and MS in Materials Science and Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.
Freezing of ceramic and metallic suspensions and polymer solutions and subsequent phase separation during solidification process has emerged as a novel methodology, which allows us to replicate a variety of features such as layered architecture, pore morphology and complex interfaces that we observe in natural materials, such as fish scale, nacreous shell, pangolin scale, wood and bone. One of the emergent techniques is freeze-casting (also known as as ice-templating), which was initially motivated by the natural freezing process that occurs in seawater. My group is primarily working on advancing the ice-templating technology for synthesis and design of novel hierarchical ceramics and composites with a multidisciplinary research approach. Ice-templated ceramics and composites have tremendous potential for numerous structural and functional engineering endeavors. We focus on developing novel tools for materials synthesis and characterization. Our research is oriented in developing the materials and research tools for targeted applications. Other research interests include high-strain behavior of hierarchical materials and additive manufacturing of materials. In addition to graduate students, my group has strongly emphasized on creating research experience opportunities for undergraduate students, and K-12 students and teachers.
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Florida, (2009)
M.S. in Materials Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, (2004)
B.S. in Chemical Technology, University of Calcutta, (2002)
External forces for particle manipulation in ceramic suspensions
Anisometric particles in the synthesis of ice-templated ceramics
Synthesis of ice-templated ceramics for Li-ion battery application
Dynamic behavior of ice-templated ceramics and composites
- Banda, M. and Ghosh, D. (2020). Effects of temperature and platelets on lamella wall microstructure, structural stability, and compressive strength in ice-templated ceramics. Materialia 9 , pp. 1--16.
- Akurati, S., Tennant, N. and Ghosh, D. (2019). Characterization of dynamic and quasistatic compressive mechanical properties of ice-templated alumina--epoxy composites. Journal of Materials Research 34 (6) , pp. 959--971.
- Akurati, S., Ghosh, D., Banda, M. and Terrones, D. A. (2019). Direct Observation of Failure in Ice-Templated Ceramics Under Dynamic and Quasistatic Compressive Loading Conditions. Journal of Dynamic Behavior of Materials 5 (4) , pp. 463--483.
- Ghosh, D., Banda, M., John, J. E.. and Terrones, D. A.. (2018). Dynamic strength enhancement and strain rate sensitivity in ice-templated ceramics processed with and without anisometric particles. Scripta Materialia 154 , pp. 236--240.
- Banda, M. and Ghosh, D. (2018). Effects of porosity and strain rate on the uniaxial compressive response of ice-templated sintered macroporous alumina. Acta Materialia 149 , pp. 179--192.
- Mukherjee, D., Hordagoda, M., Pesquera, D., Ghosh, D., Jones, J. L., Mukherejee, P. and Witanachchi, S. (2017). Enhanced ferroelectric polarization in epitaxial (Pb La x)(Zr 0.52 Ti 0.48) O 3 thin films due to low La doping. PHYSICAL REVIEW B 95 , pp. 174304--1.
- Ghosh, D., Kang, H., Banda, M. and Kamaha, V. (2017). Influence of anisotropic grains (platelets) on the microstructure and uniaxial compressive response of ice-templated sintered alumina scaffolds. Acta Materialia 125 , pp. 1--14.
- Ghosh, D., Banda, M., Akurati, S., Kang, H. and Fakharizadeh, V. O.. (2017). On the brittle fracture characteristics of lamella walls of ice-templated sintered alumina scaffolds and effects of platelets. Scripta Materialia 138 , pp. 139--144.
- Ghosh, D., Kingstedt, O. T.. and Ravichandran, G. (2017). Plastic Work to Heat Conversion During High-Strain Rate Deformation of Mg and Mg Alloy. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 48 , pp. 14--19.
- Ghosh, D., Dhavale, N., Banda, M. and Kang, H. (2016). A comparison of microstructure and uniaxial compressive response of ice-templated alumina scaffolds fabricated from two different particle sizes. Ceramics International 42 (14) , pp. 16138--16147.
- Ghosh, D., Bah, A., Carman, G. P. and Ravichandran, G. (2016). An experimental investigation of domain wall motion in polycrystalline Ni during high-rate compressive loading. Smart Materials and Structures 25.
- Ghosh, D., Banda, M., Kang, H. and Dhavale, N. (2016). Platelets-induced stiffening and strengthening of ice-templated highly porous alumina scaffolds. Scripta Materialia 125 , pp. 29--33.
- Ghosh, D., Wiest, A. and Conner, R. D. (2016). Uniaxial quasistatic and dynamic compressive response of foams made from hollow glass microspheres. Journal of the European Ceramic Society 36 , pp. 781--789.
- Roberts, C. C., Lv, P., Ghosh, D., Talon, T. and Lynch, C. S. (2015). Intermediate strain rate energy harvesting from the impact of PZT 52/48 and 95/5. Journal of Composite Materials 49 (15) , pp. 1863--1871.
- Ghosh, D., Sakata, A., Carter, J., Thomas, P. A., Han, H., Nino, J. C. and Jones, J. L. (2014). Domain wall displacement is the origin of superior permittivity and piezoelectricity in BaTiO3 at intermediate grain sizes. Advanced Functional Materials 24 (7) , pp. 885--896.
- Ghosh, D., Sakata, A., Carter, J., Thomas, P. A., Han, H., Nino, J. C. and Jones, J. L. (2014). Ferroelectric Materials: Domain Wall Displacement is the Origin of Superior Permittivity and Piezoelectricity in BaTiO3 at Intermediate Grain Sizes (Adv. Funct. Mater. 7/2014). Advanced Functional Materials 24 (7) , pp. 884--884.
- Subhash, G., Ghosh, D., Blaber, J., Zheng, J. Q., Halls, V. and Masters, K. (2013). Characterization of the 3-D amorphized zone beneath a Vickers indentation in boron carbide using Raman spectroscopy. Acta materialia 61 (10) , pp. 3888--3896.
- Han, H., Ghosh, D., Jones, J. L. and Nino, J. C. (2013). Colossal Permittivity in Microwave-Sintered Barium Titanate and Effect of Annealing on Dielectric Properties. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 96 (2) , pp. 485--490.
- Liu, J., Suryanarayana, C., Ghosh, D., Subhash, G. and An, L. (2013). Synthesis of Mg--Al2O3 nanocomposites by mechanical alloying. Journal of alloys and compounds 563 , pp. 165--170.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G., Zheng, J. Q. and Halls, V. (2012). Influence of stress state and strain rate on structural amorphization in boron carbide. Journal of applied physics 111 (6) , pp. 063523.
- Pramanick, A., Jones, J., Tutuncu, G., Ghosh, D., Stoica, A. and An, K. (2012). Strain incompatibility and residual strains in ferroelectric single crystals. Scientific reports 2 , pp. 929.
- Ghosh, D., Han, H., Nino, J. C., Subhash, G. and Jones, J. L. (2012). Synthesis of BaTiO 3-20wt\% CoFe 2 O 4 Nanocomposites via Spark Plasma Sintering. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 95 (8) , pp. 2504--2509.
- Blaber, J. A., Ghosh, D., Subhash, G., McCumiskey, E. and Taylor, C. R. (2011). Determination of post-yield hardening response in a ZrB2 ceramic. Scripta Materialia 65 (11) , pp. 962--965.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G. and Orlovskaya, N. (2010). Slip-line spacing in ZrB2-based ultrahigh-temperature ceramics. Scripta Materialia 62 (11) , pp. 839--842.
- Maiti, S., Ghosh, D. and Subhash, G. (2009). A generalized cohesive element technique for arbitrary crack motion. Finite elements in analysis and design 45 (8-9) , pp. 501--510.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G. and Bourne, G. R. (2009). Inelastic deformation under indentation and scratch loads in a ZrB2--SiC composite. Journal of the European Ceramic Society 29 (14) , pp. 3053--3061.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G. and Bourne, G. R. (2009). Room-temperature dislocation activity during mechanical deformation of polycrystalline ultra-high-temperature ceramics. Scripta Materialia 61 (11) , pp. 1075--1078.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G. and Orlovskaya, N. (2009). Scratch-Induced Deformation and Residual Stress in a Zirconium Diboride-Silicon Carbide Composite. Mechanical Properties and Processing of Ceramic Binary, Ternary, and Composite Systems: Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp. 51--63.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G. and Orlovskaya, N. (2008). Measurement of scratch-induced residual stress within SiC grains in ZrB2--SiC composite using micro-Raman spectroscopy. Acta Materialia 56 (18) , pp. 5345--5354.
- Subhash, G., Maiti, S., Geubelle, P. H. and Ghosh, D. (2008). Recent advances in dynamic indentation fracture, impact damage and fragmentation of ceramics. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 91 (9) , pp. 2777--2791.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G., Radhakrishnan, R. and Sudarshan, T. S. (2008). Scratch-induced microplasticity and microcracking in zirconium diboride--silicon carbide composite. Acta Materialia 56 (13) , pp. 3011--3022.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G., Sudarshan, T. S., Radhakrishnan, R. and Gao, X. (2007). Dynamic indentation response of fine-grained boron carbide. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 90 (6) , pp. 1850--1857.
- Subhash, G., Ghosh, D. and Maiti, S. (2007). Static and Dynamic Indentation Response of Fine Grained Boron Carbide. Advances in Ceramic Armor III: Ceramic and Engineering Science Proceedings, Volume 28, Issue 5 , pp. 29--44.
- Ghosh, D., Subhash, G., Lee, C. Huei. and Yap, Y. Khin. (2007). Strain-induced formation of carbon and boron clusters in boron carbide during dynamic indentation. Applied Physics Letters 91 (6) , pp. 061910.
- Dhara, S., Pradhan, M., Ghosh, D. and Bhargava, P. (2005). Nature inspired novel processing routes for ceramic foams. Advances in applied ceramics 104 (1) , pp. 9--21.
- Ghosh, D., Dhara, S. and Bhargava, P. (2004). Fabrication of green SiC compacts using ovalbumin-based aqueous SiC slurries. American Ceramic Society Bulletin 83 , pp. 9101--9106.
- Ghosh, D., Dhara, S. and Bhargava, P. (2004). Simplified Aqueous Gelcasting of Silicon Carbide Ceramics. Transactions of the Indian Ceramic Society 63 (4) , pp. 199--202.
- Ghosh, D. and Subhash, G. (2013). Recent progress in Zr(Hf)B2 based ultrahigh temperature ceramics Handbook of Advanced Ceramics: Materials, Applications, Processing, and Properties (pp. 267--299) Elsevier Inc.
- Ghosh, D. and Subhash, G. (2010). Scratch studies in boron rich lightweight and ultrahigh temperature ceramic Boron Rich Solids (pp. 83--94) Springer, Dordrecht.
- Subhash, G. and Ghosh, D. (2012). Investigation of Room Temperature Dislocation Mobility in Metal Diborides(ZrB 2) Using Nano and Micro Indentation AIP Conference Proceedings.
- 2010: Best Ph.D. Dissertation , Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Florida
- 2009: Outstanding International Student Award, College of Engineering, University of Florida
- 2008: 'Second Prize’ of Best Paper Awards, American Ceramic Society