hroughout September and October, Monarchs can give back to the Hampton Roads community through a food donation campaign to benefit children experiencing food insecurity in the region.
The inaugural "Monarchs Give Back" community service project launches an annual effort to highlight the University's commitment to partner with the Hampton Roads community. The initiative, started by President Brian O. Hemphill, Ph.D., and First Lady Marisela Rosas Hemphill, Ph.D., coincides with events celebrating the ninth president's inauguration.
This year's goal is to collect 20,000 nonperishable items.
The items will benefit Norfolk Public Schools' Department of School Nutrition and Berkley-Campostella Early Childhood Research Center, as well as the following schools:
- Ruffner Academy
- Ingleside Elementary
- Larrymore Elementary
- Larchmont Elementary
- Blair Middle School
Monarchs can bring their donations to Chartway Arena from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Oct. 20 or from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Oct. 21. Please bring donated items to the Monarch Way entrance, behind Chartway Arena, where staff will be on site to help unload vehicles.
In addition, donations will be collected at various campus events. Here is a full list:
- Southside HR Alumni Chapter Meeting, Sept. 28, 5:30 to 7 p.m., at Elation Brewing Co.
- International Mixer, Sept. 29, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., at Mane Hub
- Connecting the Faith Community at ODU, Sept. 29, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., at The Globe House
- ODU football game, Oct. 1, 2:30 to 5:30 p.m., at S.B. Ballard Stadium
- Peanut Butter for Parking, Oct. 4-6, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at Transportation and Parking Services Office
- Take a Bite Out of Hunger, Oct. 4 and Oct. 6, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., S.B. Ballard Stadium South Gate, Faculty/Staff exchange 5 nonperishables for lunch
- Soccer Drive, Oct. 8, 6 to 8 p.m., at the Soccer Complex
- Monarchs Give Back with Dr. Don, Oct. 18, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., at Webb Center, main lobby
- SGA Organization/Clubs Competition, through Oct. 21
The food drive will culminate with a celebration at 3 p.m. Oct. 21 at the Mitchum Basketball Performance Center, adjacent to Chartway Arena, where 600 food bags will be packed. Everyone is welcome to attend. The entrance is across the street from Insomnia Cookies on Monarch Way.
Cases of food or individual donations are welcome. Here is the full list of items you can donate:
- Canned Chunky Soup
- Canned Ravioli
- Canned Beans
- Canned Vegetables
- Canned Fruit
- Boxed Macaroni & Cheese
- Applesauce (individual cups)
- Popcorn (microwavable, not popped)
- Oatmeal (Boxes of Individual Packets)
- Peanut Butter (small jars)
Donations can also be shipped directly to the University through an Amazon wish list, which can be found here.