The Applied Language Studies (APLS) concentration focuses on the scientific study of language, with an emphasis on using linguistics to address real-world problems. Through the APLS curriculum, students learn the basic structural features that comprise all languages. Students at ODU who choose the B.A. or Minor in English with an APLS emphasis explore the influence of language on society by examining its use in authentic contexts. The scope of APLS also allows students to investigate first language acquisition and second language learning; social, regional, and global language varieties; discourse and conversation analysis; language and gender; the origins and development of the English language; and cross-cultural communication differences.
- A "portable" degree that prepares students for success in multiple 21st-century professions and disciplines
- Focus is on applied language in multiple contexts and complements other majors in the College of Arts and Letters, Colleges of Business, Engineering, Education, and Sciences
- Opportunities for hands-on learning experiences and original research
- Innovative topics courses
- Faculty specialists in a number of areas of applied linguistics, including second language acquisition, sociolinguistics and dialect study, applied discourse analysis, and corpus analysis
- Small class sizes, individualized faculty attention
Check out these ideas from ODU Career Development Services and the Occupational Information Network (O*NET). A median salary is a midpoint of what people typically earn—half of those surveyed earned above the median salary, and half earned below.
Social Scientists and Related Workers, All Other
All social scientists and related workers not listed separately.
Computer and Information Research Scientists
Conduct research into fundamental computer and information science as theorists, designers, or inventors. Develop solutions to problems in the field of computer hardware and software.
Interpreters and Translators
Interpret oral or sign language, or translate written text from one language into another.
English Language and Literature Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses in English language and literature, including linguistics and comparative literature. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
At ODU, we understand that as a transfer student you have unique needs that require a wide array of campus resources. The Center for Advising Administration and Academic Partnerships aims to create a transfer inclusive culture that supports the successful...
Estimated rates for the 2023-24 academic year. Rates are subject to change. Anyone that is not a current Virginia resident will be charged non-resident rates. That includes international students.
Ways to Save
Here are a few ways for you to save on the cost of attending ODU. For more information visit University Student Financial aid
4032 BATTEN ARTS & LETTERS