This area focuses on Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics and prepares graduates for positions as post-doctoral research fellows, university faculty, and/or governmental research officials.
- The Applied Kinesiology area prepares graduates for careers as educators and researchers in the areas of exercise physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, and health promotion
- Students in the program work closely with faculty in an immersive and supportive environment to carry out innovative and applied research
- Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities that are equipped with the latest tools for measuring physiological and biomechanical responses to exercise and other lifestyle behaviors
Health Specialties Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses in health specialties, in fields such as dentistry, laboratory technology, medicine, pharmacy, public health, therapy, and veterinary medicine.
Recreation and Fitness Studies Teachers, Postsecondary
Teach courses pertaining to recreation, leisure, and fitness studies, including exercise physiology and facilities management. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
Biological Scientists, All Other
All biological scientists not listed separately.
Education Administrators, Postsecondary
Plan, direct, or coordinate research, instructional, student administration and services, and other educational activities at postsecondary institutions, including universities, colleges, and junior and community colleges.
- An application to the University.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate courses and degrees completed.
- Two writing samples.
- A current copy of your resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Three letters of recommendation from professional sources qualified to assess your suitability for study at the doctoral level. One letter of recommendation should be from a graduate advisor or faculty member and one should be from a current or former supervisor.
- Official GRE scores taken within the last 5 years that indicate a total score of at least 297 (1000 by former scoring standard) for both the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections and a minimum of 4.5 on the analytical writing component. While these scores are recommended, other portions of the total application package will be considered. The Sport and Recreation Management emphasis area will also accept GMAT scores of 470 or higher.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must also submit current scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of at least 550.
Estimated rates for the 2023-24 academic year. Rates are subject to change. Anyone that is not a current Virginia resident will be charged non-resident rates. That includes international students.
Ways to Save
Here are a few ways for you to save on the cost of attending ODU. For more information visit University Student Financial aid
Competitive graduate assistantships, with a tuition waiver, are available for select qualified fulltime students.
Students may apply for a competitive college-wide dissertation fellowship during the dissertation phase.