Skip to main content
Code of Ethics
- We will maintain the highest level of ethical standards, and comply with all applicable State and Federal laws and regulations and University policies.
- We will protect the integrity of all University business and transactions by avoiding engagement in any actions (directly or indirectly) that are inconsistent with the State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act or Virginia Public Procurement Act. We will avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.
- We will adhere to policies and programs that promote the highest standards of ethics, integrity and professional practices in the performance of our educational, research, scholarly and community outreach activities.
- We will adopt policies and programs supporting the rights and recognizing the needs of all citizens regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
- We will maintain and protect the confidentiality and security of information entrusted to us by the University or its customers, except when disclosure is authorized or legally mandated.
- We will not use University funds, property, equipment, or services, or things of value for or in aid of political parties or candidates for public office.
- We will not use University funds, property, equipment, services, systems, information, time and effort or our position for personal gain. We will protect the University's assets and resources and ensure their proper use by preventing theft, carelessness and waste. We will promote efficient, effective and economical means of accomplishing tasks.
- We will adhere to the principle that the public's business should be conducted in the public view by observing and following the letter and spirit of the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- We will adhere to good health and safety practices and comply with all environmental health and safety laws and regulations.
- We will comply with the University's accounting policies and procedures and maintain strong internal controls at all times. We will not make any false or misleading entries in the University's records under any circumstances.
- We will strive for excellence in the performance of our duties, mindful of cost and appropriate authorization.
- We will nurture a climate of care, concern, and civility towards others.
- We will report through appropriate means and channels any dishonesty, fraud, misconduct, violations or neglect of duty, when discovered. We will appropriately investigate all such reports and require warranted corrective action and discipline, in accordance with University policies and procedures and the law.