ODU Celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month Kicks Off Sept. 20 with Speaker, Dinner
September 06, 2012
Celebrating the theme "Diversity United, Building America's Future Today," Old Dominion University will mark Hispanic Heritage Month with a series of events throughout the month of September and early October.
Ines Bustillo, director of the Washington office of the United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), will be the featured speaker for the Hispanic Heritage Month Celebration, scheduled for 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20, in the Big Blue Room of the Ted Constant Convocation Center.
Bustillo's keynote address, "Forging Links Towards Prosperity in the Americas," will be the highlight of the evening, which also includes music by Tumbao Salsero and dinner provided by De Rican Chef.
The event is sponsored the Hampton Roads Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the ODU Hispanic and Latino Employee Association, and ODU's Office of International Programs and Division of Student Engagement and Enrollment Services. To attend, RSVP at http://bit.ly/oirHHMC.
Bustillo joined ECLAC in 1989 as economic affairs officer, working on a variety of topics including macroeconomic analysis, international trade and finance. Previously, she was professor of economics at Universidad Anáhuac in Mexico City and visiting faculty member at American University. Other positions held include consultant to the World Bank, the Center for Latin American and Monetary Studies and Operadora de Bolsa in Mexico City.
Bustillo, a national of Uruguay, earned M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in economics from American University.
Other Hispanic Heritage Month events at ODU include:
- Voter's Rights and Responsibilities Forum, noon to 1:30 p.m., Monday, Sept. 17, Chesapeake Room, Webb Center. Sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Relations and the Social Entrepreneurs Council;
- "Latinization of America and Comprehensive Immigration Reform," 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26, Chesapeake/Portsmouth/Virginia Beach Rooms, Webb Center. Featuring Robert Aponte, Indiana University, Purdue University at Indianapolis. Sponsored by Virginia Organizing, La Unidad Latina;
- Spark Change Theatre presents "Tambien la Lluvia" ("Even the Rain"), 6-8 p.m. Friday, Sept. 28, Intercultural Center, 2114 Webb Center. Sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Relations and the Social Entrepreneurs Council;
- Global Café, noon to 1 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 3, Intercultural Center. Sponsored by the Office of Intercultural Relations;
- Women's Issues Panel, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 3, Hampton/Newport News Room, Webb Center. Panelists will discuss various topics including women's health access, reproductive rights and violence against women. Sponsored by Virginia Organizing, La Unidad Latina, the ODU Women's Center, YWCA, the Social Entrepreneurs Council and Office of Intercultural Relations; and
- Café con Leche, 7-9 p.m. Monday, Oct. 15, North Cafeteria, Webb Center. Sponsored by the Latino Student Alliance and La Unidad Latina.
For more information about Hispanic Heritage Month, or any programming at ODU's Office of Intercultural Relations, contact the office at 683-4406 or email@example.com.