What is a trademark?
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) defines a trademark as, "a word, phrase, symbol, and/or design that identifies and distinguishes the source of the goods of one party from those of others." A trademark is not a copyright or patent. Shapes, sounds, fragrances and colors may also be registered as trademarks and trademark law has expanded to include trade dress and anti-dilution protection (https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/trademark).
A trademark does not need to be registered, but it may be at the state or federal level.
In other words, a trademark is something unique that indicates where a product/service comes from.
What are some examples of trademarks?
Trademarks can be displayed in many different forms. In the bullet-point list below, a type of trademark has been paired with a Boise State example. Please note that these are not the only University trademarks.
- Word (Old Dominion University)
- Phrase (Go Big Blue)
- Symbol (University crown Logo)
- Design (Athletics Big Blue logo)
- Color (Navy & Silver)
- Sound (Fight Song)
- Group of letters or numbers (ODU)
* Can also be displayed as a combination of any of the above
What are the University trademarks
The University's trademarks include:
- "Old Dominion University"
- "Old Dominion"
- "Old Dominion Monarchs"
- The University Corporate logo with crown
- The athletics crown logo
- The athletics Lion logo
- The athletics Lion shield logo
- Big Blue logo
- The University Seal
All other names, including "Monarchs", symbols, initials, colors, images, graphic designs or other indicia that refer to the University are protected by United State federal and state law. The trademarks are updated continually. A current listing of registered trademarks is available from the Director of Trademark Licensing and Enforcement.
Using Player Images
Do you want to use a photograph that displays an association with the University for a product?
- You must have an ODU license to produce an item which includes a photo.
- If your product and/or advertising contains photographs or images, ensure that you own all necessary rights to reproduce these photos/images/video.
- Get overall approval from the Licensing Office.