Ph.D. in African American History, University of Georgia, (2020)
M.A. in American History, James Madison University, (2016)
- Chiles, M. T. (2022). Re-Envisioning Richmond’s Past: Race, Reconciliation, and Public History in the Modern South, 1990 to the Present. Journal of Southern History LXXXVIII (4) , pp. 707-52.
- Chiles, M. T. (2021). “Historian of Black Virginia: Luther Porter Jackson, An Appraisal”. Spectrum: A Journal on Men 9 (2) , pp. 135-57.
- Chiles, M. T. (2021). "A Period of Misunderstanding: Reforming Jim Crow in Richmond, Virginia, 1930-1954". Virginia Magazine of History and Biography 129 (3) , pp. 244-78.
- Chiles, M. T. . (2021). “Here We Go Again”: Race and Redevelopment in Downtown Richmond, Virginia, 1977-Present. Journal of Urban History 00 , pp. 1-27.
- Chiles, M. T. . (2020). "Tough on Conduct: Punitive Leadership in Urban Public Schools, A Case Study of Angry Principal Dr. Roy A. West, 1986-1991". Spectrum: A Journal on Black Men 8 (1) , pp. 55-85.
- Chiles, M. T.. (2020). "Down Where the South Begins: Black Richmond Activism Before the Modern Civil Rights Movement, 1899-1930". Journal of African American History 105 (1) , pp. 56-82.
- 2022: William M.E. Rachal Award Winner (2022), Virginia Historical Society
- 2020: African American Studies Institute Lee B. Giles Encouragement Award, Institute for African American Studies at the University of Georgia